RSS Feed Print
Adding Book Details
Epoch1
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:53 PM

I've created my first project, a simple short story for now. I've filled out all the required pages and created a cover. But for some reason it won't recognize my "Book Details" page as complete and add a check. It keeps saying I've only completed 3 of the 4 steps.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 3:02 PM

Hi @Epoch1,

I went over and checked out your profile page and saw that you do have a book THE REPLACEMENT successfully uploaded for feedback on Book Country. Was this the book you were having trouble with, or are you still trying to get another book uploaded?

Let me know.

And you can always write to us at support@bookcountry.com for one-on-one help via email, too.

Thanks, and also: welcome to Book Country! Glad to have you as a member of the community. I think you'll find that there are a lot of really great SciFi writers here.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

kjmiller
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:34 PM

I HATE THE COVERS I HAVE FOR THE TWO BOOKS I'M POSTING ON BOOK COUNTRY.

Frankly, this is as good as I can do with "design your own cover!"

Oh Christ.  Really?

One of the reasons being a films student was so frustrating in the 1980s is that I couldn't draw, and still can't draw, even stick figures.

And: "Our software well help you create a great cover!"

Um, no, it won't, at all ever.

I just wasted half an hour trying to improve one of the covers of one of my Book Country books.

Never again.

I'm not spending one more second of my life on "make a better cover!"

I mean ... Jesus ... and I suppose if I take JUST ONE MORE dance class I'll have a better social life as well ....

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Hi @kjmiller,

Will you email me at support@bookcountry.com so that we can talk about your covers? We definitely want you to be able to design covers that you like!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:27 PM
I do have to comment on the cover issue. If you're looking for feedback on your writing, who cares what the cover looks like? By providing the ability to generate one, free, they're doing a service. If you want a professional looking cover hire a professional designer or design it yourself on a program with the power of Photoshop.
JCW Stevenson
Posted: Friday, May 9, 2014 7:30 PM

I agree with Jay, here.  The fact that it is here at all is a bonus.

For those of us that are rubbish at visual arts, the options are to use the book cover maker here, or find an expert to help. 

Our very own Yellowcake may be able to assist for a fee (he's a graphic design guru IMHO).

Other options are art communities like Deviantart. Joining there and finding an artist you like can often be a very cheap way of getting visual art such as book covers done for cheap.

Maemuna
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:32 AM

i have written a short but i really dont know how to upload / publish it
Yellowcake
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:50 PM

Thanks Mr JCW ..  cheque is in the mail ..

Seriously though, if anyone would like a few options for covers, I'd be happy to have a crack at it. Just ping me a PM and lets see what we can do eh.

Re costings ect, I do this stuff for a living, but I would like to offer this as a service to members here for karma points and good vibes I guess. Um, how about  as long as any costs for stock images used can be covered, (then I'm not out of pocket) and you like the results and you thinks it's worth $1, then pay $1, If you think its worth $10,000 pay $10,000 ... If you're like me and totally bloody skint all the time then let me know and we'll see what we can do.

WIP books that im working on here:

Soulweaver: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6207

Tim: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6211

Here is a link to a portfolio - that I really need to update - http://bit.ly/1sKWC9v

Lucy... doing this isnt breaking any guidelines is it? If so, let me know eh.

Cheers

Al

Jump to different Forum...