RSS Feed Print
Hello from Oregon!
JoannaBartlett
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:40 PM

Hello,

I joined Book Country a few weeks ago at the recommendation of a friend. I'm a long-time writer -- but always for businesses and organizations: journalism, public relations, donor communications, etc. I was laid off last summer from my fairly swanky Communications Manager job and have been freelancing since, focusing on non-profit communications. I've also started writing a memoir and getting back into freelance writing.

I've reviewed a couple of books and am reading a couple more at the moment. And I just uploading my memoir in progress, Irrepressible Spirit: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6487. I'd love input on it.

I'm originally from England and moved to Barbados with my mum when I was 10 (the focus of the memoir), then to the States at age 14, where I've lived in a few different states on the East Coast. Then I hopped to Oregon in 2009 where I've been since--and plan on staying.

My husband and I have a lovely blended family of 4 kids, so getting out to local writer's groups can be hard at times. I'd love to build a community of like-minded writers--online and off--to read and critique each others work. Writing book-length works is new to me, but I'm well trained at editing and proofreading shorter pieces and a story is still a story, no matter its length.

Joanna

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 3:37 PM

Hi Joanna! Welcome to the community here at Book Country!

I just sent you a connection request, so that I can be in touch here on the site. Feel free to ask me questions via private message, or of course right here on this thread.

When I read your post I immediately wanted to show you a Member Spotlight on our blog from last week--Isabell McAren (imawake) is another memoirist here on Book Country. I'd love to connect you two two one another! Sounds like you might be really good workshoppers for one another's work.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jump to different Forum...