RSS Feed Print
seeking help
Ayuda Mei Amoir
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:12 AM

need help with a title to a story I am working on at the moment. The first two I have which are: Calm before the Storm and Eye of the Storm, but it is the last that's giving me the problem. What words could I use to say that the story's problem or main conflict is ending and the story is about to finish as well as keeping it ending with 'the Storm...'

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be a big help.

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:06 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. The title's not yours to pick. The publisher knows the market and what readers respond to, so the marketing department my well dump the title you supply for one they like better. Same with the back cover blurb.

Yes, on the shelf a catchy title will convince a reader to take a look, but you don't know the marketplace. And when you query that agent or publisher, the first reader will read your blurb with pretty much any title within reason, because it's their job. It's the writing, not the title that will sell the house on investing in you. If your writing is indistinguishable from the pros who are submitting, and you require less editing than the other stories that may be equal, and, if the writing gives minute-to-minute reading pleasure, who cares what you titled it?

Tim Johnson
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 9:46 PM

What Jay said.  You don't normally get to keep your title.  You write, they market.

Jump to different Forum...