RSS Feed Print
Little known Alternate History masterpiece
Lew Yedwab
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 11:42 PM

Book Country recommended I connect with a gentleman who notes that he likes "Farthing" by Jo Walton. I haven't heard of it before, but its description includes the phrase "...set in an alternate postwar England sliding into fascism."

This reminds me of a book everyone should read immediately. 

I'm referring to "Liverpool Fantasy: A Novel" by Larry Kirwan, who leads the New York area band "Black 47". This story of a world where the Beatles broke up before getting a record contract started life as a play by Mr. Kirwan, which my wife and I were lucky enough to see at a theater in Hell's Kitchen in New York City. 

Just...what a trip. In the tiny physical space of the play, a world without the Beatles' sociopolitical influence goes streaming by, outside the room where the never-were-fab-four gather for a sour reunion. 

In the novel, Kirwan has room to go out and show us more of that politically scary (-er) world. 

Good lord, what I wouldn't give to see a movie made out of this property. If somebody could make "Backbeat", then someone needs to make the movie of "Liverpool Fantasy". 

And while we're at it, where are those Harry Turtledove movies I've been waiting for? 

I'm new here; man, I hope it was cool to insert all these links. 

--Lew Yedwab

Jump to different Forum...