RSS Feed Print
Sword & Sorcery
Jenn & Sean Collier
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:58 AM

is Sword & Sorcery a genre genre for Fantasy or is it waiting in the shadows to make a grand reappearance in the world of fiction. Also whose a fan of this subgenre and what is it about it you like.
Jenn & Sean Collier
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 8:28 AM

I meant is Sword & Sorcery a Dead Genre. Sorry brain thinks faster than the fingers can move across the keyboard.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 9:51 PM

I don't think so. It just depends on how it's written. Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire books and Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle books are a couple of good ones that are doing relatively well. Lawrence's new book beat out GRR Martin on Amazon.uk the other day in the epic fantasy catagory. It was pretty cool. Now mind you, both writes have a kind of post-science age set up going on. One is a direct reflection of our world 1000 years after a nuclear war. The other one is less obvious, but you catch what I'm saying. It's how you twist the trope, not the trope itself.
Ayuda Mei Amoir
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 10:35 PM

thanks for the tips and for two more writers to look up and add to my reading collection.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:46 AM

No problem. I'm always willing to help and spread the word of a couple of good writers.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:08 AM

The sword & sorcery genre is not dead per se, but it has morphed into what we now refer to as epic fantasy. 

Fritz Leiber coined the term "sword and sorcery" in 1961, describing a genre featuring "muscular heroes in violent conflict with a variety of villains, chiefly wizards, witches, evil spirits and other creatures whose powers are–unlike the hero’s–supernatural in origin.” A lot of the books that used to be considered sword and sorcery are now referred to as epic fantasy. I guess sword and sorcery is an old-school version of epic fantasy. Epic fantasy has gotten rid of some of the genre's cliches and has developed new ones--such as the trope of the roguish hero. On the blog we have a post about the key differences between epic, traditional and historical fantasy, so check it out if you're interested!!

Nevena

Book Country coordnator

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 1/7/2014, 11:09 AM--

Allen Curtis Meissner
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:36 PM

I think it's time is still technically here . Let us therefore pay tribute to the Father of Sword and Sorcery himself , Mr. Robert E. Howard writer of the Conan the Barbarian Sagas !

Jump to different Forum...