RSS Feed Print
Report Bugs
Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:25 AM

Hi DJ,

I'm sorry for the delay in my email response. I did indeed get it, but was working through it and a couple other questions that came through over the weekend. I just sent you an email in hopes of getting some more information about the bug since I cannot replicate it.

Will look out for your email back to me so that we can get your book up for review ASAP!

Thank you!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:17 AM

@Jay: thanks also for your notes about the Discussion Board features--I have noted them and will bring them to the attention of our development team.

Lucy

D J Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:22 PM
Success! Book posted for peer review. (Do I know what I am asking for? Perhaps not.)  Thanks for the email reply with the link I should have looked at from the beginning. On another note, I really like the user friendly cover creator. Happy feet are dancing all the way to the bottle of tequila in the kitchen now.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:28 PM

Hooray! So glad to hear it!!

Lucy

Linnea Ren
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:47 PM
Every time I try to make a post, it takes away my paragraphs, and when I try to edit, it'll delete my work. I'm not sure what's going on with the replies, but this has been happening since I joined and it's only getting worse. Is there any way to fix that?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Hi Linnea!

Yikes. That sounds extremely frustrating. It's not happening to me right now, using Firefox on a PC, so send me an email and let me know more about what kind of device and browser you are using. Screenshots of what this looks like will be extremely helpful in sending to our dev team to sort it out as soon as they can get to the bottom of the problem.

Will you write to me at support at bookcountry dot com?

Let me know--thank you--and I'm sorry that is happening. Thanks for bearing with it and we'll work on a fix!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Rhyll
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to delete a project 'Balancebreaker'. I can't seem to edit it or use the delete button. I have been trying to do this for quite some time.

Thanks, 

Rhyll

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:42 PM

Hi Rhyll--Did you see the response I wrote to this post you wrote last week? I haven't heard from you in support yet. Please email me at support@bookcountry.com so that I can find out more information and help you delete your project.

Thanks,

Lucy

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:36 PM
Linnea Ren wrote:
Every time I try to make a post, it takes away my paragraphs, and when I try to edit, it'll delete my work. I'm not sure what's going on with the replies, but this has been happening since I joined and it's only getting worse. Is there any way to fix that?

I've been running into this too.  I just posted a scene from a novel I'm working on, and the formatting was completely screwed up when I pasted it.  I tried fixing it, but it only made things worse - I probably spent more time fixing the formatting than I did writing the scene, and it still looks awful.

Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:32 PM

Hi Ian--yes, I aware of the issue, and I too have experienced it. It is totally frustrating. We've been investigating it for awhile and the problem that we run into is that we can't consistently replicate it, and thus we don't have enough info to fix it. We're definitely working on it, though.

Ian, do you use a Mac? What browser?

Screenshots or even videos are always useful--if you or anyone else has some that we can give to our tech team, we are very grateful. Email them to support@Bookcountry.com.

Thank you!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 5:54 PM

I tried to post an announcement of a seminar under the new 'Professionals for Hire' thread, but it did not post. Does it need to be approved?
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:26 AM

Hi Mimi,

We can see your post in the system, though I'm not sure why your post isn't appearing for everyone. I've sent to our IT team for help. I'm sorry about the delay!

Brandi

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:47 AM

Problem solved!
Yellowcake
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:18 PM

Hi Brandi... not sure if this is a bug or not or something screwy my end?

I got an email the other day saying that Tim had gotten some feedback, but when I clicked the link to go to it, it seems that there is no new feedback appearing? Any ideas? using Macbook pro, or iMAC

Also, just a note (you more than likely already know) iOS is very slow (iphone 5s and iPad), sometimes not loading at all for the messages and forum replies ...

Once again though, could be just me?!?!

Cheers

Al

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 9:47 AM

Hi Al,

I've heard of another BC member having the same problem and we're investigating the cause. Could you please forward the email you got to support at bookcountry dot com?

I've been having a slow-loading iOS problem across the entire web ever since I took Apple's latest update. Not sure if that helps.

Best,
Brandi 

Yellowcake
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 10:03 PM

No worries Brandi. Here is the message cut n pasted... Cheers

AL

To view this email as a web page, go here.
 BC logo 750 235
Book Country Facebook  Book Country Twitter  Book Country Pinterest  Google +

Dear Alex,
Good news! There's new feedback on Tim, the manuscript you posted on Book Country.
We encourage you to connect with the writers who help you, start a discussion, and help others by finding manuscripts to give feedback of your own. When you're ready, upload a new draft.
We hope the feedback helps. Happy writing!

Best,
The Book Country Team

PS: Remember to leave a comment thanking the Book Country members who spent time reading your manuscript.

Copyright © 2014 Book Country. All rights reserved.
Book Country. 375 Hudson St. New York, NY 10014

We respect your privacy. View our privacy policy.  

Update Profile One-Click Unsubscribe

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:28 PM

Am I nuts or wasn't there a bookstore here? I can't find it.
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 9:11 AM

Hi Mimi,

The Book Country bookstore can be found in the drop down menu under  the "publish" tab. Here is the link: Bookstore

Hope that helps!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 1:33 PM

Thanks, Janet. It seems to me that you should make the bookstore more prominent. I actually thought that you had taken it away and were working on it.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 5/23/2014, 1:33 PM--

Michelle Hiscox
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:25 PM

Hi there,

When I'm signed in and I click on the genre map and select 'Horror', it takes me to the next page where Book Country author titles are available. When I click the link to Book Country titles it always gives me a '404 Error' so I can't access the page. This has been consistently happening for a few weeks now. I'm trying to access it working on Chrome.

Any ideas?  

Thank you!

Michelle

Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:04 PM

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for reporting this. Sorry you are getting an error page. Support is currently investigating this issue. We'll email you future updates.

Best,

Janet

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:11 PM

Janet, I've had a hell of a time posting in the discussions today. Before mid afternoon the wait time for a response to the reply/edit buttons was enormous. After about 3pm it became impossible to get any kind of result other than a blank screen. I've come in to work - it's 7pm - and it seems to be working now.
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 3:44 PM

Hi Michelle,

Are you still seeing this error when you use the site in Chrome? I can't replicate it and I'm wondering if perhaps it's an issue specific to your machine or browser. You might try clearing your cache or signing out of Book Country and signing back in. Email us at support@BookCountry.com and we can take a closer look.

Thanks for your patience!

Lucy

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:11 PM

Are they ever going to fix the bug that lumps the entire critique together, with paragraphing and even line-spacing removed? It makes it damn hard to read a critique. It's there when posted, but stripped out when it appears as a critique.

I have to say that this site, by far, has more bugs than any other writing site I've seen.

Other then the problem I noted at the top, and off the top of my head, here are a few that have been around since the new version of the site was made live. All have been noted at one time or another. All were noted as being given to "the development team." None have been fixed.

• When I open a reply window in any forum, after the first character is typed there's often an automatic return inserted, breaking the first word into two lines.

• The link manager still has the post button missing.

• When a critique is commented on the system no longer sends an email notice to the one who wrote the critique.

• Not being able to copy and paste, or quote anything less than an entire post is a killer, because without the ability to quote individual statements any comments the member makes is mixed in with the whole quoted text.

• You do allow copy and paste  from a post to a document in another program, which makes no sense. If the goal is to stop copying, the lockout should be to media other than in a Book Country Post, so you seem to have it backward. It also makes no sense to block copying posts. Stories, yes, but not posts.

• The above point aside, when something is pasted from the site to a Word document your software appends "See more at: ..." with the URL of where it was copied from where I have the ellipsis. The threshold appears to be fifty-one characters. Up to fifty copy and paste okay. Any more and the "look here" crap is appended.

• You still have the line leading bullseyes in a quoted post that vanish when the cursor passes over them, and the problem where deleting something at the end of a quoted post is apt to delete the entire quoted post, along with everything you typed into it.

• Telling the one typing a post that there is a spelling error, and then requiring a separate spell check, harks back to the days of the five and a half inch floppy disk days, and is inconsistent with the concurrent spell check of the critique area, where the user is given the fix  via a right click.

Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:06 AM

Good morning, Jay. Thanks for the list. I'll share with the developers and I'll get back to you about whether these will take priority over other projects we are managing this year.
Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 8:02 PM

Not sure if someone reported this or not (didn't read through all the bugs)...

I was paging through the list of discussions and I saw that the discussion "Ten Things Writer Do That Cause Me to Sigh Heavily" had a recent post (September 22, 2014). I clicked on the discussion and was taken to the initial page. Only 5 pages appear in the navigation options above and below the first page of posts (which I thought was odd considering there are 202 replies). I clicked on page 5 and scrolled down to the last post on the page. That post has a date of January 18, 2013. Hmmmm.

So, I went back to the list of discussions page and clicked on the "Go to Last Post" icon for this particular discussion. Again, I was taken to the first page (at least near the bottom) and only 5 pages were listed in the navigation options. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get to the most recent post of this discussion - yet, somehow, someone was able to post on September 22, 2014.

Am I missing something?

Technical info: I'm using Firefox 32.0.3

Thanks!

Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:33 PM

Yes, Angela, this is a bug! I can replicate it, and it's one that hasn't been reported or discovered by staff before. Thank you!

I will log a ticket for it.

I appreciate your thorough reporting!

Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:48 PM

Hi, Lucy - Phew! I'm always glad when a bug can be replicated!

Thanks for checking it out and logging it.

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 1:18 AM

An update on what I reported.

Today I wanted to put a link into a post that would guide people to an article on filter words. Since your link manager doesn't work I was forced to paste the URL directly. That shouldn't be a problem, since it appears that under 50 characters copies and pastes properly—or did a few days ago.

But apparently it no longer does.  What I posted was  http://writeitsideways.com/are-these-filter-words-weakening-your-fiction

Copying it from the post and pasting into the URL window yielded: http://writeitsideways.com/are-these-filter-words-weakening-your-fiction#sthash.qbUmuhC4.dpuf

Most people who paste it in won't notice the appended characters because they won't be looking for them, so won't know why the link leads them nowhere.

But the problem is more serious than that. It means that someone reading a profile that contains a link to that members blog won't be able to follow that, either.

I know of no other writers site on the Internet that does not automatically recognize and link when a URL is included in a post, just as if they had used a link manager. This site once did it. It's an obvious bug in the software because URL recognition is included in every software package that might be used to generate a website.

I know you guys are operating on a shoestring budget, but at this point the site has critical problems. If I write a critique I know that all the paragraphing that shows as I write the critique will be lost, resulting in a monolithic and unreadable chunk of prose. I can't link to websites. Spell checking works for critiquing, but for posts the process is very like that of my old Apple II+ and ten years out of date. I want the site to succeed, because I'm passionate about helping people learn the profession. But it's getting harder and harder. One would think that Penguin, and for that matter Random House would insist that anything associated with their name would represent it with professionalism.

http://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/#sthash.LuazP91P.dpuf
http://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/#sthash.LuazP91P.dpuf

Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 10:27 AM

Hi Jay--the second link you posted above did work for me (though you are right that it doesn't automatically hyperlink, which is something I'd like to ask the developers to look at as well).

Lucy

Colin Rowe
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 12:22 PM

When uploading my manuscript I hit Save and keep getting one of those error markers at the very top of the page, first line. The box to the right is empty, so I have no idea why it's there or why it won't let me Save. The word count is high enough. I tried deleting and entering new lines and space. Nothing works. Please fix this. There's no reason for me to use the site at all if I can't put my book up.

Also, I sent an email about this about a week ago and never heard back. You guys are really dropping the ball.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 1:41 PM

Hi Colin--We can help you upload your book. Will you email us at support@BookCountry.com so we can take a look at what's happening for you?

Thank you,

Lucy

Cas Meadowfield
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 3:44 PM

I've been trying to log in using a new mobile browser, but I keep getting an error message:

Data connectivity problem
Unable to establish secure connection

OK

I also can't log in on IE, but Fire Fox works.

Now frightened to log out using Google in case I can't log in

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:41 PM

Hi Cas--Book Country doesn't work very well on mobile nor IE. Can you keep using on Firefox or Chrome, as those are the browsers we optimize for?
Cas Meadowfield
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:30 PM

Thanks Lucy

Yes I can, and will do so.

D'Estaing
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:56 PM

This bug report thread won't load. that's one bug. I've replied using the "add reply" link at the top of the thread. The other bug I was going to report was that the "reply" buttons at the bottom of threads seem to disappear after a time. If you log out and log back in again it reappears, so there's a perfectly adequate workaround, but it's a bit irritating if you're half way through a review, for example.

Jump to different Forum...