RSS Feed Print
Hello!(2)
Kathleen Foucart
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Hi there! I'm brand-new to Book Country and feeling a little overwhelmed! Anyone care to give a newbie some pointers as to how to find things to review and what the community is like here?

Looking forward to 'meeting' new writer friends

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:22 PM

Hi there, Kathleen! *waves*

Welcome to Book Country. Don't feel overwhelmed--Book Country-ers don't bite, I promise!

To find a bit more about how everything works, you might want to check out two discussion topics, A Regular User's Basic Guide to Using Book Country and BC Tips: How to Write Reviews/Use Star Ratings.                          http://www.bookcountry.com/community/topic.aspx?id=40

Otherwise, to meet new people, the best way is to jump into the discussion forums. The "Genre Talk" is perhaps the most active one, especially if you are a fantasy or romance author. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Nevena from Book Country
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:41 PM

Hi. Neneva's covered most of the main points, but here's a few tricks it took me a while to learn.

1) At the bottom of the 'Books' page is the currently unreviewed books section. You'll make yourself popular with your fellow neophytes if you pick a few of these off with your initial reviews.

2) When you post your work, start by announcing it in the new projects thread in its appropriate genres. There's one in every genre section, generally somewhere on the first or second page, and a lot of people follow them.

3) To get chatting, it's not a bad idea to look at the busy discussions. Either go from 'Discussions' to 'Search Discussions' to see what are the most recently updated threads or just look at the 'most discussed' on the Discussions page.

4) try to review, connect and update frequently. Your connections get updates of everything you do, so you can draw a lot of attention to your work if people see you working on it a lot.

Hopefully, this all helps. Let me know if it's just confusing.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:27 AM

Thanks for the assist, Tim! 

I think that cover it pretty well. Just one more thing that comes to mind: make sure you're "following" a discussion you want to actively participate in or else you won't know when people reply to your post. 

Have fun, Kathleen!

Cheers,
Nevena, BC Assistant

Andrew Parker
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:43 AM

Hope to see more of you.

Jump to different Forum...