RSS Feed Print
I finally joined this site
Patty Jansen
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:28 AM

I've heard about this site for a while and intended to sign up, so here I am, finally.

I write Science Fiction (hard SF and space opera). I have a novel coming out with a local small press (Ticonderoga Publications, in Perth, Australia) and the November issue of Analog carries my first ever story sale to them. Woot.

Have not uploaded anything yet, but if you search for my name on Amazon, lots of stuff will come up. It's late now and I will need to read the guidelines to see what I want to upload, or can upload.

For now, I'm feeling lost and friend-less. Does anyone want to play?

Patty

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2012 10:48 AM

Hey Patty, 

Welcome to the community! Hang out in the SF discussion forum to meet some like-minded people. 

Also, you can upload self-published work if you wish! We simply ask you to respect other members and self-promote your self-published projects in the "Introduce Yourself" and the "Member News and Announcements" areas of the discussion forum only. I hope that makes sense. 

Have some fun and happy writing!
Nevena from Book Country 
Patty Jansen
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 7:33 AM

Thank you, Nevena. While I shamelessly self-publish, I am not here for that reason, and am not interested in promoting. There are a lot of better sites available for that purpose. I do not treat (self) publishing as an either/or game, so while I'm having fun self-publishing some of my work, I remain interested in selling (some of) my work traditionally.

But, if anyone has any questions about self-publishing, I'm happy to answer them, or suggest people who can answer them better than I can.
Richard de Meath
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:49 PM

Hi Patti,
I'm delighted to learn you are thinking of uploading some of your work onto Amazon.  I think the secret to good writing is to keep at it, to practice your craft for as many hours as time allows.
I find my greatest pleasure comes from starting a book and seeing it through to completion, and then starting all over again on another topic.

Turquoise Foster
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:30 AM

Hey Patti,
I'm also new to Book Country. I joined a few weeks back and I am still learning new things every time I log on. Congrats on your novel being published! I'm interested to read some of your work once it's posted.
Patty Jansen
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:17 AM

Thanks.

I will poke around this site for a bit. I think I have the mandatory three comments already, but may do some more before uploading a few chapters soon.

To clear up confusion: I have already self-published a fair bit of work, including five novels (two standalones and a trilogy). Another novel will be published in August 2013 with Ticonderoga Publications, a local Australian genre publisher.

The November 2012 issue of Analog contains a story of mine (promptly savaged by Lois Tilton LOL!)

It is my aim to do both.

Michael Burkey
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 3:53 PM

Welcome to Book Country! I've also just joined (over the weekend), so it is great to see other fresh faces. Especially ones as experienced as you are!

I'm very interested in checking out your work, since I'm also caught up in the science fiction genre.

Jump to different Forum...