RSS Feed Print
Just wanted to introduce myself and get tips on getting myself seen!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:01 PM

Hello, everyone. My name is Laura and I'm new to this web site, but have been writing for ages. Haven't published anything, mostly because I've never written anything long enough (I shoot for the top, unfortunately) for a novel, but am starting a few projects that I think have potential. Hopefully I can showcase them all here to get your feedback!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to getting involved and seen, and for getting feedback? I've got a few chapters of one of my works posted. It's called The Job.
Thanks!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:42 AM

Hi, Laura!

The best advice I can offer about getting yourself seen is to be a presence on the discussion boards. And to start making connections with other people on this site as well. Also, keep reading and reviewing.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:22 AM

Thanks, Alexandria! I've posted a few comments on other discussion boards, and will keep making connections. I guess it will just take time.
Hope to talk with you again!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:25 AM

I hope so as well. I enjoy reading others' comments on this site. I've learned so much in the few months I've been on Book Country and hope to learn more as new people join!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:00 AM

I know - I've so enjoyed the other discussions going on with this community, and have learned so much already from other folks' points-of-view. 
I must admit that I'm struggling to be patient in seeing if people will start reading/critiquing my works, but I guess it's like that for most of us. While I don't have much time to devote to reading and reviewing myself (a full time job and a baby keep me pretty busy!), I do try to review/read and contribute as much as I can. I do, however, wish there was a better way of getting my work noticed!
Do you mind me asking: what is your background? I know from your profile that you're a writer, but how did you get started? Did you hone your writing skills in college? Any past jobs in the biz? What can I say? I'm the curious type.
For me, I've always loved writing, and over the years have won various awards for things I've done, which I must say, keeps the fire burning! Even though I haven't always written fiction, I've ALWAYS written, which I think keeps the brain sharp.
I'd love to chat!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:48 AM

Do not worry, I have the same problem waiting for the reviews. I do feel bad because I feel like I have the time to review more stories (currently not employed) but I am in grad school so that takes a good deal of time away. (In fact, one of my books is open next to me as I type).

As for my background, I started writing little stories when I was still in elementary school. I enjoyed the assignments where we could get creative though I soon learned this usually applied to the written word. And then to prose. While I'm sure I could write poetry, I don't particularly care for it.

In middle school, I met a new friend who encouraged my writing through a new medium--fanfiction. She really helped me learn how to create characters, even if they were complete Mary Sues in hindsight (lol). I continued to write fanfiction as well as my own original stories, many of which died on my computer (under both categories).

In college, I was a journalism major with a minor in theater arts. But it did help me hone my craft. I also took a few other writing courses that I enjoyed immensely. My professors were very supportive. There's probably one who would come after me with a pitchfork if he found out I still hadn't submitted my final one act play to any publishers. Unfortunately, no past jobs in the biz, though I am shopping around a few short stories. Hopefully they'll get publishd.

Otherwise, I still keep writing--original or fanfiction, whichever suits me.

How about you? Your experience? Influences?
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 10:59 AM
Welcome. Looks like you're doing exactly as you should. Read and become involved in discussions. Read reviews and hopefully the authors will have the time to reciprocate. I'll get to your works as soon as possible.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:27 PM

A - Aah, a fellow journalism grad! A wonderful profession, but I had to bail on it so I could actually PAY my bills! Thankfully, I've still been able to write with my current job, even if it's more press releases and web content than news stories, per se. 
Let's see - my experiences and influences - I had great English teachers in junior high and high school, and actually won an award for an essay contest where I wrote about my favorite teacher. This teacher was my junior year honors English teach, and was a dictator of English, as I like to think of her. She demanded nothing but the best from me and her other students and I really think my writing thrived in her class. I will never forget this one short story I wrote in junior high (about a man's last moments before he's electrocuted), which I then fleshed out for an assignment in high school. I had teachers who told me it was well-written, but that it freaked them out that I'd come up with the idea. To this day, I'm still proud of that story. I took some writing classes my freshman year in college (when I was majoring in environmental science), but then changed my major to Journalism. I don't regret that decision one bit. While I was a reporter, I won three awards for my work, which I will always be proud of, even though I no longer write news stories. I must also admit that an introduction to fanfiction (*cringe*) a year ago got my creative juices flowing again, and for that I'm thankful. I've never strayed far from writing, as you can see, but it feels good to be creating things again. I'm excited for what the future holds.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:29 PM

Dennise - Thank you! Although I don't have much time to devote to reading some of the longer works on this site, I always try to read/review something!!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:52 AM

Yes, a journalism grad. I'm slightly jealous that you got to work in it for a bit. I had to bail before I could even get in. I graduated as the recession was starting to hit in 2008. I'm now in grad school for Human Resources. Which is more complicated and fun than I think many people think it is.

And I understand the cringe about fanfiction. It takes a lot of sifting to find the good ones, but when you do, they're gems.

I understand the joy of creating, of writing. Let's hope good things come to everyone on this site this year!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:14 PM

A - I suppose I was lucky. I had no idea some were bailing before they'd even gotten their feet wet. I still deal with reporters daily in my current profession, and though I often cringe when I realize how unlearned these new reporters are, it gives me hope for the profession that people are still getting into it. Yes, I loved working at newspapers for the time I did. Wish it had paid more; I probably wouldn't have left it.
And I actually got into FF because I read one or two amazingly good ones and it sucked me in. (I might have written a few, too, but Shhhh!)
And yes, I hope the same - there are so many good creators here. Speaking of which, I'm currently working on a review of your work.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:26 AM

I got your review. I'm just finishing up a response to another review and I promise I'll respond to yours.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:45 PM

Absolutely what alexandria said (alex's is smarts people!)

Be a player, and you will be part of the game.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 4:10 PM

Okay, gang - here's a different question, kind of along the same lines as my original topic.
I'm working on this fantasy piece and I need some advice, please. Right now it reads like a long-ish short story, because that was my original intention, but I think with a few things adjusted (like the plot trajectory and pace), I'd like to make this into a longer story and maybe even a series. Hopefully after you skim it, you'll see what I mean. 
The advice part comes in here: I deliberately crafted my characters using Greek gods, goddesses, titans, etc. They speak Latin occasionally. Yes, I did this on purpose. I'm going to work more on creating this world - for a short story, I wanted to focus more on the characters - but I ask you all this: is it too confusing, the way I have it? I've only got two reviews to go on, and one was purely supportive, and the other suggested I rework it quite a bit. I've become kind of attached to my characters, so I'm torn. 
Any advice, suggestions, constructive criticism is always appreciated! Thanks!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:17 AM

I started reading it a few weeks ago, Laura, but I'm afraid real life got in the way a bit! I promise to return to it and leave you a review.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:20 AM

Alexandria - No worries! I'm just hoping you and others here will help me out with this. I'm kind of stuck on this issue, and don't want to completely change my story if it's not necessary. I find myself easily swayed these days, so I was hoping for more suggestions. Thanks!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:33 PM

Guys - I have a question for you all, and am not sure where to put it, so it's going here for now.
What makes a book a Buzz Book here on BC? I see books with four reviews labeled as such, and can't figure out what I'm missing. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get my work circulated, but can't seem to break in, despite my involvement. 
Is there a trick to this thing? Thanks, as always.

Jump to different Forum...