RSS Feed Print
How many rejections does it take to make a book great?
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:48 PM

.......Or indeed, how many people must declare you dead before you opt to lie down in empathy?
I'm often curious as to whether my submission's are read at all. How could any agent have time to read and justly review such vast numbers of new works, especially if the writer does not want to destroy the suspense of the story by putting too much information into those early pages, or even chapters, on which the book will be judged?
I'm considering installing a prologue which will be a more immediate hook, but would weaken the work in it's entirety, in the hope of cutting it at a later date. This however seems a little diabolical to work. What do you think?

Let's see who has the best rejection or worst review, but has gone on to success (success can be as subjective as you like.)

In the meantime good luck all, and may bookstores across the globe need rubber walls to stock all of us who go on to fulfill the dream!
Michael

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:20 PM

Hi Michael,

I see that your book is up. I'll start reading it tonight.

As for submissions, I really think that the best thing to do is to post your work on the various writer sites amd hope someone (an agent-person, that is) discovers it.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:23 PM

Here's hoping Mimi!
First one discovered gets the drinks in, yea?
Ed Ireland
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:52 PM

I think that if you put your time in and you've read, re-read, and re-read again and edited, and tweaked and done everything you can...and you're satisfied, then you keep pushing. Look, mistakes have been made about people before. Just think what the world would have missed if a certain musical group had walked away from the first audition and rejection and gave it all up. Those guys believed in themselves and they just went to the next audition on Abbey Road and the rest is history.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 4:46 AM

Asolutely..... though only after dropping a mimming guitarist, and replacing their drummer!

P.S. Do you ever get to the stage where, on reading your work you DON'T find some more, previously illusive though glaringly obvious, TYPOS?
Ed Ireland
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:56 AM

I have yet to find that stage.
Solitaire
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:39 PM

At the risk of playing the Lifetime-Movie-heartfelt-talk card... 

'The Help' was rejected 60 times before it made it: http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/60-rejection-letters-didnt-stop-kathryn-stockett-and-her-bestseller-the-help

I feel your pain brother, I got rejected today too. 

Your diabolical idea may work, if only to give the agent the main thrust of your hook earlier. 
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:20 PM

What excellent timing.
I have spent the last few months doing a major rewrite. Just started sending out submissions again... first rejection emailed back today... Your article allows me to keep the dream alive/delude myself awhile yet.
Cheers, and G'luck
Mike

Rich B Knight
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 4:40 PM

Just keep on trucking, brother. If you believe in it, keep at it. Just remember to keep working on new projects all the time.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:51 AM

New projects!!!
The last one aged me ten years in one. I sat down to write, a happy, healthy, enthused, aspiring writer and got up at the end a bespeckled, old, cynical dude cursing the establishment in between cluster headaches.
Another project might just kill me.

Then again... that would take care of the mortgage, wouldn't it?

Mike

Jump to different Forum...