RSS Feed Print
I'd love some feedback. Thanks!
Voran
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:54 AM

A story of an isolated people faced by a suddenly resurgent, bestial enemy, Raven Son follows two rivals’ search for purpose and beauty amidst increasing chaos.
Blakely Chorpenning
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:29 AM

It's not bad, but a little muddled by too many words. I would uncomplicate it a bit. Maybe something like:

While an isolated people face a bestial enemy resurgence, Raven Son joins two rivals in their search for beauty amidst increasing chaos.

But I am curious as to who Raven Son is. That may be worth noting in the hook. I'm hooked.
Voran
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:49 AM

Thanks, your fixing it made it obvious what was missing! Raven Son is the name of the book, not one of the characters. I've tried something different. How about this:

Voran is faced with an impossible choice - fight the Ancient Darkness and risk annihilation, or let his people fall to ensure their eventual redemption.

Still hooked?
Blakely Chorpenning
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 11:06 PM

I was wondering about Raven Son.
Now, however, I'm left wondering who Voran is. Why is he faced with these horrible choices? (So I read the longer description, which is fabulous!)
Maybe you could combine the two from above. I like the "isolated people face a bestial enemy resurgence". But I love that you clarify the choices that need to be made. Once you mentioned "Ancient Darkness", I think my nose hit the screen. Ha.

Here is a possibility:
When an isolated people face a bestial enemy resurgence, Voran, a young warrior, must fight the Ancient Darkness and risk annihilation, or let his people fall to ensure their redemption.

And yes, I'm completely hooked now. I'll have to read it.

Voran
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:54 AM

How is this as a possible replacement?

After centuries of peace, the Ancient Darkness amasses just outside Vasyllia . But the enemy the Vasylli must truly fear is the one that already lurks within.

Blakely Chorpenning
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 1:01 AM

Now that is quite a hook. It's not too wordy, doesn't go into too much detail, but also gives the reader the score. I like it a lot. I think that one is my favorite.
Nefasti
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:16 PM

I actually prefer your second version - that's the one that hooked me. For me the last one doesn't speak to the conflict strongly enough.

A suggested tweak, because I don't like a lot of commas in hooks:

Young warrior Voran's people are at risk of annihilation by the Ancient Darkness, and he must choose whether to fight or let his people fall to ensure their redemption.

Jump to different Forum...