RSS Feed Print
Problems with Spam on Writer's Blog
LisaMarie
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 7:46 PM

Hey, I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.

I'm using WordPress (have my own domain name), and I'm getting an incredible amount of spam. I'm not keywording anything, so I don't know where this crap is coming from!

Is there a plug-in that detects spam or another way to filter it out? Right now I have to set my comments to "approve," and that's such a pain!

Thanks!

MarieDees
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:14 PM

I'm using Askimet on Wordpress. It does a good job of letting regular comments through while blocking spam.
LisaMarie
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:03 PM

Ooo! Thanks -- I'm gonna check that out. I just switched my blog template to that crazy Atahualpa, so I'll have to piddle around a bit, no doubt.

Really, some of this spam is just too funny. It's like it was written in another language and run through an ??-to-English translator, LOL!
Annabelle R Charbit
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:15 PM

If you plan to spam someone, the first rule should be LEARN TO SPEAK THE FRICKIN LANGUAGE OF THE PERSON YOU ARE SPAMMING, or a virus will be uploaded to your computer that will then infect you with much deserved leprosy and then your genitals will shrivel to the size or raisins, rot and fall off!!

I'm only a little bitter, honest. OK a lot !! I would love to get my hands on a spammer and inflict untold physical injury!!!!

Wow I feel a lot better now

Annabelle
www.ridiculouslife.net

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:21 AM

I used Word Press as well and have noticed quite a few spam comments that Askimet puts in my queue for me to decide if they are really spam or not. Most are asking me "Who made your website? It's so professional!" It's quite silly asking it on WordPress--I just used their templates.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:44 AM

yeah, i have the same setup, and akismet takes good good care of me.

The spam IS rediculous, but its actually very very crafty. Basically, it's constructed of certain words and phrases, and you'll notice the username is often a link, or they have a link in it. The point ISN'T spamming your forum. The point is to get as many forums as possible tieing those keywords to those links. Which causes those websites to show up in search engine results. Its all Google Bombing.

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:08 PM
I use Akismet alongside BadBehavior. BadBehavior is awesome. Too, going into your settings and turning commenting off after a certain time period (most people use 14 days but nothing sooner) helps catch/deter a lot of spam.

Also, just so you all know, if I go to a blog where comments have to be approved, a lot of the time I won't go back - and I know a lot of people who are the same way. Having said that, I have commenting set so that I have to approve a commenter once before his comments show up on my website. Honestly, running BadBehavior, I may not need that moderation.

Also, as a person with "low vision", I'm not a fan of those catchpa things, either. Nine times out of ten, I can't see to read them - and the audios never help.

Jump to different Forum...