RSS Feed Print
Progress Report
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:26 AM

I got the results from the writing contest I entered "The Wedding Game" into. Sadly, I was not a finalist. But the judges involved were literary agents and they provided feedback on my entry. And it was good feedback--and mostly positive. Spurned me on to continue editing the story.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 1:52 PM

Alexandria - sorry you didn't place in the contest, but it's good that you're taking the experience as a positive one. I've come to appreciate constructive criticism and suggestions, whatever the source. And keep trying! Any vehicle that keeps you feeling good and creating is well worth it!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 2:00 PM

Ever have a day when you feel like you, along with your characters, have shown up to school naked for a test you didn't study for? No? Just me? 
Well, it's one of those days. Not sure why.
I'm just feeling like I'm grossly under-prepared, unlearned, ill-equipped (pick one) for writing a really good book, and so my characters are also suffering for it. Poor Nox. I don't think he appreciates being forced to display his buns and tallywhacker. Mimi, how's that for an update?
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:10 PM
Laura - yes i have! you are not alone!

I have scene ideas floating around in my head, though. Am trying to untangle something. Meanwhile, I've started a shared journal project between me and friends in Georgia, Florida, and Massachusetts.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:49 PM

I've been a bad girl still, not really doing much, but I have posted a new draft of chapter one. I also updated my book description. I've been trying to narrow it down for when I start to query. I wrote my current one at work, so it's probably no where perfect, but oh well. I think it's still better than the last.
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:17 PM

Arrgghhhhhhhhhhh! I'm more than three quarters of the way through my revisions of book 1 of the trilogy and I just discovered that I've edited myself a nice big continuity gap. It's a good thing I keep ALL of my previous versions.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 2:25 AM

That's a good lesson, Angela. I was advised to do the same when I started editing "The Wedding Game." Thankfully, we have to save each chapter separately to load to this site so I have those.

Otherwise, I've been busy editing "The Wedding Game," and writing "The Conference House" as well as "Fairest of Them All."

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 10:21 AM

The best thing is, Alexandria, I went back several versions and found the continuity issue in them, too! So, it's been out there (on this site) for some time now. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

But, that's really one of the advantages of saving older versions and working on a computer - I can search a document for these types of problems and figure out the best place to fix them (either by rewriting or re-inserting previously deleted text).

Nicki Hill
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:57 PM

I finally finished chapter 2 of one of my current WIPs, FIRST COMES LOVE.  Yeah, it only took...oh, 3 months?  Procrastination and I are very close friends.  I'm not really writing seriously right now, though - I'm just doing it because I have friends who are following me and want to know what happens next.   

I also expanded on a scene that I wrote several months ago, as well, for a completely different WIP, working titled HEAVEN BELOW.  Got it turned into a chapter somewhere in the middle of the story and started a second chapter for it, as well.  That one's going to be a bit more of a beast because it involves alternate history, so I actually have to research for it, whereas FCL is strictly for fun and requires no special knowledge.  Not that that's been encouraging the writing to go any faster.

In baby news, I am now just over 6 months.  Which is crazy.  We don't know what model of baby we're having, so we've come up with fun nicknames in the meantime.  The current favorite is Squidley McWormskins.  At least creativity is flowing somewhere!

Nicki Hill
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:01 PM

Forgot to say, if anyone's interested in reading the first two chapters of FCL, they're up on my blog. 

Voran
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 9:22 AM

Hello all! I've gotten some interest from a small publisher, and I'm getting ready to submit sample chapters of Raven Son. If anyone has a few extra minutes, I would really appreciate any and all feedback on those all-important first pages. Here it is:

http://bookcountry.com/Books/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=128183

Thanks!
Ben Nemec
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:01 AM

I just started writing about a zombie Clydesdeer (use your imagination .  Oh yeah, this is gonna be a fun scene.

Also, that kind of marks the end of the setup for the story.  All of the pieces are in place and it's time to start moving in earnest toward the conclusion.  Here's hoping I don't find any (more) massive plot holes along the way.

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:02 PM

Just wrapping up the revisions of the last two chapters of book 1 of my trilogy. Decided to do some revamping the chapter before the last one - shifting things around so that the main character witnesses the events that push him into action rather than learning of them.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 8:16 PM

I think that is a great decision, Angela. It will make the ending more immediate and have more impact.

I finished writing the last rewrite I needed for chapters 1-7 today and I'm inputting edits into the computer. This last few weeks have been crazy and a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me.

As for the edits, I underwrote a lot. My word count keeps shooting up, and thats after cutting out unnecessary sentences and words. I even cut out an entire scene. Even then, it's a massive improvement. I'm so happy with it right now even though it know it'll need another round of hard core edits before I can query.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:00 AM

Brand new chapter two is up, and I almost have the scene rewrite for three entirely edited. I'm hoping to get that up tomorrow. Now I shall dance.
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:29 AM

Hi, LeeAnna - Thanks! I hope it changes the overall impact of the ending of book 1. Still slugging away at it (got a bit derailed by several home projects - major plumbing job I wasn't expecting and getting the house ready for a crew of painters and carpenters). Really hope to repost A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations in its entirety very soon.

P.S. Got your e-mail. I will take a look at chapter 2 as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, dance away!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:43 PM

Three is up! I feel awesome.
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:03 AM

Started a new project this morning. Feeling happy and excited. I'm only 300 words in, but I have a pretty clear picture of the whole story in my head. That's rare for me, as I normally only get snippets of a character or dialogue.

Steve Yudewitz
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:43 PM

I've been working on a project called Deadman's Float for awhile now.  The idea was sparked while I was using writing to explore office taboos, situational morality, and the way corporate culture shapes how employees treat each other. 

The story centers around Dave Grodnow, who reluctantly returns to Rancquer Industries, the Fortune 100 company that fired him a year and a
half ago.
His past quickly comes back to torment him. A vindictive, sadistic ex-boss is now his department's director.  The HR Associate who handled his termination has been promoted and works with him on a high priority project. Linda, an ex-girlfriend he no longer speaks to, is his new project supervisor.  His long time friends Bill and Art are the only ones he feels comfortable around.

When Art is murdered on company grounds, Dave discovers clues to the possible motive.  He quickly realizes that he must find Art's killer before more of his friends and colleagues die.

I'm more than halfway done and have the ending worked out, but have been going back to the early chapters to clean out events that don't move the main plot or the major subplot forward. 

My main struggle is finding time to write more than 500-600 words a day. I hope to get more chapters up on this site shortly.

MLW
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:07 PM

I have been spending time reorganizing my plot, and generally restructuring everything.  I'm playing it a little straighter than I was as far as the writing of this book goes.  Although I haven't written much new (still revising a scene) I have decided to put all of my thoughts in my head about the series on paper and so began a chapter by chapter breakdown of the book, as well as a book by book summary of the series.

I'm looking forward to beginning to post new material in the near future!

Also, because writing is always easier when I'm reading actively I started Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series.
MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 4:39 PM
just received a manuscript to edit and have written two pages on my own project. still have another editing job on the coals.

Angela Martello
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 6:56 PM

Almost finished my edits/revisions of A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations.

Currently confined to a 3 x 2 portion of my kitchen table. Part of my living room is piled in the kitchen; two of the bedrooms are filled with boxes and other stuff from the living room/dining room area. Everything else is draped in plastic. The painters and carpenters expect to be here for at least a week. The good news is, I can't get distracted by turning on the TV. (Though, I can watch stuff on my laptop and Kindle Fire.)

The bad news is, I'm distracted by everything else!

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:45 AM
I havta recommend a cheap motel room, Angela. A phone call can confirm one with a broken TV and no view so you can pretend to be an expatriate writer with no local friends. Fast, or at most, take some Army "Meals-Ready-To-Eat," a concoction soldiers call "Three lies in one," so eating won't really interest you. Meditate, write & sleep and y'll have "A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations" finished in a few days. You can thank me when I show up for your book signing.
Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:02 PM

DG - I did feel like I was back in my grad dorm room up at UConn. It was such a tiny space. Fortunately, I spent most of time in the labs, out in the field, or in the library.

And I'll just have to add you to the list of people I'll need to thank.

Ironing out the last chapter of book 1 tonight, then will upload the new version. Then, of course, on to book 2 - to incorporate all the changes I made in book 1. (At this rate, book 3, which is complete, won't get edited/revised until sometime in the year 2017.)

Three Borzoi
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:44 PM

Hello all - I have (re)posted the first two chapters of Ximena, which I have retitled Pawned. Critiques are most welcome. One particular question I have is: Is this YA? Or is it Adult? Or does it straddle some weird boundary, neither here nor there?

A second thing is that I'm looking for books to critique. I don't really care about the genre, since I have been in crit groups with all manner of participents. But, DON'T ASK me if your goal is simply lots of stars. I may dissapoint. I give one star for what I see as first draft, two stars for second draft, etc., with four for nearly perfect. I leave five stars to be awarded by people who are published (not I), and really know what that takes (I don't). I do not award stars as if I were reviewing a book on Amazon, etc.

If you want me to critique, ask to connect. Then I WILL crit. Line by line, or at least the best I can do with the BC interface.

I issue this warning because I have at least two, and perhaps three, authors pissed at me for lowering their star count. One of the authors even admitted that his was a first draft, only one day old, but was upset that I gave less than 3-stars. I don't need more bad juju.

Three
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:26 PM

I've uploaded the first chapter of my re-do of my fantasy space opera, Crossing The Ice. I found that the previous version wasn't going in the right direction so I've decided to start from scratch again. The good news is that it's let me have a serious look at it all and rearrange a few details to make it a lot more interesting.

In other news, I've recently farmed Slide The Scales From My Eyes out to beta readers (otherwise known as friends who didn't run fast enough) with an eye to whacking it up on BC's self-publishing route in a month or two, barring any particularly massive issues.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:10 AM

I have been absolutely swamped writing, editing, and presenting a new chapter every week for my two serials. Other than those two, writing is going very slowly on anything else.

Of course, I've also submitted one of my existing manuscripts (Cat's Paw) for publication; I had five chapters requested, so we'll see where that goes..
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:45 PM

Finished this round of revisions to A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations. Will post it tomorrow night, then on to book 2!

Also managed to get a colleague to agree to read through it (bet I'm gonna have to owe her big time!).
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:35 PM

There are some great recent updates - applause all around! 
Personally, I can report that I've decided to write a new Ch 1 for my urban fantasy work. It was inspired by people's feedback, so thank you. I know it's not exactly forward progress, technically, but I'm confident it will help the story. So there ya go!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 3:27 AM

It's been some time since I reported my progress. Heh. Revision is still ongoing with "The Wedding Game." This part requires the most rewrites because this was where I introduced Natalie. So I have to write her out and change a few things around.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:35 PM

I've been working my ass off on the first seven chapters. I almost have all the edits imputed. I only have chapter 7 left, but it's going to be a doozy.

I've already have good feed back for chapter 2, which seems to be the most problematic, and should manage to get it right (mostly) once I begin work on it after I finish 7. I probably won't post anything new up here until I do. It's so very important after all.
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:20 PM

Moving right along with the edits of the second book of the trilogy. And now that all the carpenters and painters are out of my house, I have my little writer's haven back.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:46 PM

Currently in the midst of writing a new NA story, Dyson Academy. I've written it to run almost entirely on utter craziness and I'm kind of pleased just how nuts it manages to seem.
MariAdkins
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:00 PM
I got 7680 new words this week!

GD Deckard
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 8:58 PM
LOL Tim. If it were mine to give, you would have the Carl E Reed Motivational Award. And maybe even the Joe TeeVee Writers Award.
Maya Starling
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:04 AM

Hello,

I'm new to BookCountry, so... I'd like to join this discussion as well.

I just finished my second novel and I'm throwing myself into editing the first one. 

My status: revising and editing the 1st chapter, the one that takes the longest to edit. Once I'm done with first few chapters, I'll start posting on my profile.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:49 AM

Look forward to seeing it, Maya.
My 1st chapter took the longest to edit too.... until I started on the second..... then the third. Now I think of it 9 was a real pain in the posterior and 38 broke my heart.
The joy was, that after a bunch of reviews I got to do it all over again.
Have you ever heard the analogy about brushing a coconut mat?
Best of luck with your creations and welcome to the site.
See ya round,
Mike
P.S. Have I been around long enough to say 'welcome to the site' yet? Don't want to get above my station, or anything.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:56 AM

Michael, you're part of the landscape here now. 

Maya Starling
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:32 PM

Thank you for the welcoming
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:19 AM

Seriously, Michael. You're a regular at the bar. I don't think anyone will question your authority.

I'm on a borrowed computer because I'm on vacation. (Does happy dance.) I've decided to leave my novel at home so I can work on some short story ideas that have been pestering me. And read KING OF THORNS. Nothing like a good sociopath and coffee to start your day.

I look forward to seeing your novel, Maya. I don't know when I'll get to it because of my "Reviews I Promised" list, but I'll try. I like helping.
Maya Starling
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:41 AM

I'm new here and I've done 9 reviews already... need to put up my stuff

I did though, finish with reworking my first chapter, so now I'm working on my second.

And you just reminded me LeeAnn... I have two short stories to write as well.

Enjoy your vacation! Where are you at?
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:25 PM

Atthys has finally put up a photo of himself. I'm inspired to do the same.

I finally got a decent shot of myself off the cell phone of someone at work. For some reason, every try off our digital camera, and we've tried numerous times in all kinds of lighting, gives me a horribly red face. 

MariAdkins
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:32 PM
I'm pushing up toward 5k new words for this week. I'm so tired! It's been a long time since I've just sat and wrote - usually I can spill out 3k in a day like it's nothing. But this last month I've just been exhausted. Lots going on out in the meatlife. Makes it rough.

I'm glad to see traffic picking up here at BC again! And I'm looking forward to seeing the new forums this summer. yay!

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:08 PM

Looking forward to it, Mimi.... Not to give a build up that will raise expectations and place undue pressure on the first uploaded devine image but....

I've always pictured you with the wicked smile of Bett Midler, the complexion of Marylin Monroe, the wise, sultry eyes of Betty Davis, the refined bone structure of Angelina Jolie and the girlish innocence and vulnerability in expression of Greta Garbo.
I'm sure however I have shortchanged you; we can but only wait.
Myself? I'll stick with my avatar, cause I actually do have a big red face.

Across the Atlantic do you have the expression, 'a face like a Bulldog being stung on the ass by a bumble bee.'?

Mike
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:13 PM

I'm an old bag, I'm afraid. Sixty-seven. Over-the-hill. Maybe that's why I've taken so long to get hold of a photo. 

Oh, well. My husband loves me the way I am. So he says.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:20 PM

Like I said, I shortchanged you. The average age of the beauties I mentioned was considerably more than the slip of a girl 67.
Funny how fate works. My wife prefers me when I put on a bit of weight........... good job, this last year or two.
I can be big in the literary world now... I can be big anywhere.

Oh yea, and just to adhere to the discussion thread.... revising away on what will be the last draft of my coconut mat... I think I have one more in me.
Maya Starling
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:16 AM

I finally edited my first and second chapter, skimmed over the next few as well and decided to post it... I kept liking it less and less so I could use outsiders opinion.

Thnx!

Now, onto writing a short story about a Troll.
MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:31 PM
i could take a look via email if you don't mind maya.

as for my progress? none yesterday - i had to redo my dayplanner for may. because i wasn't using it. so now everything's a wreck. but i've got to get back on track ...

Maya Starling
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:27 PM

Yes Mari, I'd like that. I'll take any form of feedback I can get. I've grown much over the course of writing two books that when I went back to the beginning of the first one... it's... umm.. different, not as good... so I tried reworking completely the first chapter and edited the second and third a bit.

As for your progress, you can do it If I could help, I would.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:34 PM

I'm still on vacation. I'm visiting my husband's parents in Oklahoma. I'll be back with my writing in a couple of days. I can say that I did not take the opportunity to work on my short stories. Instead I immersed myself in the goofy black humor of Borderlands 2. I love that game for reasons that make me question my sanity. Then again, I am a writer.

Jump to different Forum...