RSS Feed Print
Progress Report
Tim Gordon
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:05 PM

Wow, this post has really exploded since the last time I was on (which was all the way back in May, I believe). I've done some huge re-writes since then based on blunt criticism, and I've uploaded the first few chapters of my updated "Finley."

I figure that since I'm starting to think the book isn't half bad, it's time to be torn down again. Only way to improve. My New Year's Resolution is to get it to a point where I can call it "done" by the end of the year.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:57 PM

That sounds like a good resolution, Tim.

I'm doing one more edit on the first thirty pages of "The Wedding Game" before I send it off to the competition. I'm going away next week so I'd rather send it off before I left rather than doing everything last minute. Like I usually do.

And I'm still chugging away at "Fairest of Them All."
MariAdkins
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:15 PM
I can't remember if I've said so or not. But I've been working on editing for hire as well as journaling. A lot of journaling. And more journaling. lol

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:09 PM

Finally finished Ch6 of Aequitas tonight. Life has a funny way of getting in the way of writing. And man, did it ever. 
Anyways, will be posting the new chapter tomorrow, and then I'm making notes in my earlier chapters of things I need to change or correct, based on recent feedback. Then it's onward!!
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:08 PM

(Breaks out pom-poms.) Go, Laura!

I'll make sure to check out your new chapters.

My progress, still editing. But if you're one of the many people who offered to read my book and give me feedback, I would much appreciate it if I could get it soon. I don't have any opinions on the new chapters and would like them.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:03 PM

LeeAnna - Your book will have my full attention tomorrow. Promise. It will be in between work things, but I will devote myself to it. Okay? Thanks. I enjoy having my own cheer squad. It makes me smile.And all: posting ch. 6...NOW!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:31 PM

Ugh. False alarm on the chapter tonight. BC for some reason is not letting me upload. Guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
John Speikers
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:57 PM

My two cents worth.  Keep all drafts in STRAIGHT Quotes until the very last.  This saves a lot of hassles.
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:32 AM

Hey all, I've slapped up the newest of the redrafted Slide the Scales From My Eyes chapters*, which only leaves 2-3 to re-do now. Current plan is to have the entire thing re-written by the end of the month, but well, that's not going to happen.

*Now includes giant skeletal serpents.
MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:23 PM
i've not been writing. but i've been journaling and smashbooking. it's been a nice change of pace and release for me.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:50 AM

I'm back from vacation. Unsurprisingly, not so great for my word count on "Fairest of Them All." Surprisingly, not great for my reading either.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:30 PM

Got lots, of v. useful hints and advice gathered up from reviews and now ready to tackle the final (I hope) redraft of 'The Desolate.' Now why, at this late stage, does my own book suddenly feel so intimidating?
Also , does 'End of Desolation' work better as its possible meanings are polar opposites?

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 1:51 PM

I've been working on the edits for my WIP along with the rewrites for four scenes. I was hoping to do the whole book before I posted anything back up, but I've got a couple of people who want to see the early chapters with the much needed work. So I may be posting at least up the chapter 6 much earlier than intended.

That said, I've also decided to read and review a popular book that I find ravage worthy. So I'm doing that for fun. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! I'm looking for support to make it through. Lend me your strength!!

http://militaryhousewriter.blogspot.com/2013/01/im-going-to-read-mortal-instruments.html

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 7:34 PM

LeeAnna, just read that review. Hilariously awesome. Now I'm going to go check over all my own manuscripts for bad metaphors.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 9:45 PM

Hey, Tim. If you want a chuckle while I slowly progress through the second book, you can always read my updates on Goodreads. I also suggest browsing the reviews there. There are some pretty funny ones.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9590328-leeanna

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:36 AM

Oh, Lord, you're diving into Cassandra Clare? I started reading her famous (or infamous) Draco Dormiens series. It was a good basis for a story (if having numerous plotholes as Harry Potter fanfiction) but held back by little to no dialogue, rather 2-dimensional characters and the fact CClare never develops her world beyond the basics.

I'll give your review a read when it isn't nearly 2 in the morning, LeeAnna.

Nicki Hill
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:26 PM

Aw, I love the Mortal Instruments series.  And the Infernal Devices series.  I'm one of those people who is irrationally angry at the casting director for City of Bones because none of the characters, except for Magnus Bane, look the way they're "supposed" to.  But I'll be fair and poke through the review. 

Nicki Hill
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:35 PM

I linked back to the City of Bones review; haven't read the current one yet.  To be fair, rooftop doors are usually not hollow, right?  Because they're security doors?  But otherwise, LeeAnna, I did laugh out loud through most of that. 

Though it's not gonna stop me from plowing over actual teen girls to get to the sixth book when it finally comes out.  ;-P

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:17 PM

I was actually thinking about how old the door might be, and she also describes the windows as boarded up which makes those harder to break through. It just didn't make much sense to me. When the door finally gives, it feels very convenient.

There is something very lazy about her writing. The second one is driving me crazy too. I find it does help improve my analytical skills though.

Glad I could make you laugh.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:23 AM

Reading over my comment, I realized I made a late-night mistake: I meant CClare's fanfiction suffered from little-to-no DESCRIPTION, not DIALOGUE. Believe me when I say the Draco Trilogy story I read had plenty of dialogue.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:22 AM

Ah, late night mistakes. How they haunt us.

She tries to use description, and suffers with really bad metaphors. We've all suffered from them, but her work is infected with them. If this book was mine, I would highlight them all and then count. Most of them don't make sense, a couple are in bad taste. You'll see them in my review. The mausoleum = ice burg that sank Titanic made me cringe when I read it.

Oh, yeah. 3 out of 4 scene rewrites done. Now I shall dance.
GD Deckard
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:16 PM
Woot! Chapter 17 completed! Things are moving faster now that I've organized a ton of notes into an outline of the chapters yet to the written. The work is clearer to me now and some of those noted went into "Prequel & Sequel" so I can focus on the story at hand. It has been a help to read of others struggles with organization, note-keeping and other chaff. Thanks guys, your advice often does more good than you know.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:47 AM

I don't have much to report because I've been reading and sick. Blech to the second of those. Today I'm going to start work on Ch 7, which will be refreshing since it will be all new material, and not reworked or expanded material from my original short story. Onward!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:38 PM

To make things weird, I also just uploaded a new chapter 7 for Scales. I've been busy reworking it to lengthen it, which has had the entertaining side-effect of utterly confusing me as to which chapter has what number any more.
GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:12 PM
LOL Tim, "entertaining side effect?" I'll remember your comment next time I get stressed because my notes confuse me.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:40 PM

Tim, I have a habit of remembering parts of my book by their old chapter numbers, thus confusing myself and anyone I'm talking to.

I'm debating whether to post anything at all. I kind of want to be able to upload a new version all at once. I don't know what to do! I could put it to a vote, but really, how many people would be interested in that? Probably, like, three. Am I right?

Still editing. Now on chapter 7.
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:04 PM

Well, you can do what I do, just post up what's done and take the rest down. Scales' word count over time on BC probably looks like some kind of yoyo by now.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:09 AM

I still need feedback on chapters 21-35 though. I have none. Any of you who have finished, want to continue?
Nicki Hill
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 8:52 AM

I pants pretty much everything I write, so I have the opposite issue - people will mention chapter 5, for example, and I'll have to go back to the manuscript myself because I have no idea what happened in chapter 5.  I just remember the order of major events.

Progress has finally been made here!  I started rewriting a story I began a few months ago.  I had started it in the wrong place and the characters were definitely not pleased.  I started and finished chapter 1 yesterday and plan to focus on chapter 2 today since I miraculously have an afternoon off.  Feels good to be back in the writing game again, and now it does feel like a bit of a race to see what arrives first: a squalling bundle of joy and sleep deprivation, or a new baby. 

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:00 AM

LeeAnna, when I finish up Scales, I'll do a review swap with you. Assuming, of course, you want a repeat of my last one?
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 11:09 AM

Tim, when do you think you'll be done with Scales? I don't mind doing a swap with you. I just want a gage so I can maybe come up with an editing schedule or something. I'm looking for motivation to get my ass in gear.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 11:47 AM

Thanks for the comments.........
Maybe I should have learnt about POVs B E F O R E writing my book!
Anyway that's Ch. 1 of 'The Desolate' revamped (and about 3000 words reduced)
I think it previously suffered from generally not being very good, but now..........
Oh lordy, I'll await the verdicts.

1 down, 41 to go......... yipeeeeee!

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Well, I'm aiming to finish chapter 8 and then I want to rearrange the finale with a hammer, so I'm ending for end of last week, so how does that sound?
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:12 PM

Groovy!
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:39 PM

Yeah, I'm not going to get to editing those by that time. That said, I'll still do the swap. Why? Because I need feed back I can use when I get to 21-35. I'm working on the early parts of the book now because those are the worst. My later chapters I wrote this last year. Yes, I slammed on 85+k words in one year with a dozen other things going on, and what you see isn't even a rough draft. They've had some touch up, but they're nowhere near perfect.

Oh, and they answer a load of questions people have, but I still want to know if they're adequate enough. I want to know if my ending chapters seem smashed on, or if I need more. Maybe less. Character development logical? Why am I going on about this? You would think I was nervous.

(Starts chewing finger nails.)
Marshall R Maresca
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 8:47 PM

So, with Way of the Shield, I've put up the first 17k words or so, but I've done about 32K.  End goal for the rough draft is 80-85K.  Maybe some public pressure can help me turn it out. 

I swear, every book, every single book, that hike from 30K to 40K is the worst part.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 2:27 AM

I put up my review of City of Ashes. Enjoy the mid-writing break.

http://militaryhousewriter.blogspot.com/2013/01/book-review-city-of-ashes-mortal.html

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Loved the review LeeAnna, your samples of some of the more 'memorable' similes are hilarious.

In other news, I've 'finished' Scales for the most part. I just need to go through and make some 'minor' cosmetic modifications, for the most part. So I should be done somewhere between soon and never.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 3:25 PM

I get the feeling about being finished between soon and never. My thumb and wrist on my right hand are giving me problems, so my work has pretty much been relegated to a crawl. I'm probably going to get a brace and limit my computer time. During that period I'll be working on my edits.

Thanks for reading the review. I'm thinking about writing a blog post about things I learned not to do when reading these books after I do the third one. Jury is still out whether I'll do four through six.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:09 AM

I liked the review Lee Anna (as I'm sure Goodreads told you). And I would be interested in reading a blog post about what you learned not to do.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:49 AM

I saw. Thanks. So far it hasn't been as popular as the first, but I'll give it a couple of days. Honestly, I felt myself running out of steam half way through writing it because dealing with the flaws became so exasperating. I wanted to just throw my hands in the air and go pound my head against the wall. There is nothing I LOVE about those books. Clare always manages to ruin something marginally interesting. It sucks. I really wanted to like them. So far my foray into YA has been hit and miss. (Hit: Chuck Wendig's Atlanta Burns novels. Awesome.)

The more and more that I think about it, I think I will write that blog post. It saddens me when the crappy stuff is so popular. Here, we writers work so hard to make everything as close to right as we can, yet publishing is still so subjective and money driven.

Eh, sorry. It's late. Didn't mean to get mopey there.

Share it with your friends! (Couldn't help the shameless self promotion there.)
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:48 AM

"Eh, sorry. It's late. Didn't mean to get mopey there."

It happens. I get that way some times too.

I still have to wonder why CClare doesn't have an editor. I know why she probably doesn't want one--she's been told by the HP fandom that she's even better than Rowling so she doesn't think she needs one. But I don't know how anyone at her publishers could agree.

Mysteries of life, I guess.

Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Finishing up my last round of revisions/rewrites for A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations. Of course, the rewrites there mean more changes to the second and third books. But it's all good. Each revision, which I must add, often follows a helpful review on this site, has been a lot of work, challenging, but fun. Hope to re-post Revelations this weekend.

On another note, I also hope to get back to being a more active member of this site very soon. The last 6 months have just been so strange. . .
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:58 AM

LeeAnna - I had to speak up about your reviews. Loved them. I too share your ire for shittily-written (yes, I know I might have made up that term, but I don't care) possibly plagiarized fiction. Was this series self-published? If so, I might go off on a tangent about my feelings on that.
But I must quote this particularly gut-busting line from your book one review: "His dangly bits have got to be chaffing. Seriously, ladies. That is not hot. All he's missing is an Ed Hardy shirt before he's the douche in the corner of the club you roll your eyes at."
YESS!!! Nailed it. And now, thanks to your wasted time (he he) I will certainly steer clear of this dribble. Thanks!

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:29 PM

Oh, and I must report that I'm still working on a new Chapter 7, but I'm so excited about this one. You'll get to meet Death Herself in this chapter, and I'm really having fun fleshing her out. (Please pardon the pun.) So many ideas in my head. It's a nice change. Haha.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 12:16 AM

Laura, sadly the books were not self-published. They were published by a subdivision of Simon and Schuster. Ouch. I'm going to start the third one soon since the return of my husband has kind of stalled my editing. I'll get back to it soon, but I realized I need a break.
Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 12:19 PM

LeeAnna - Thanks for the link to your review of that, um, book. Having a miserable time at work today and needed a good laugh (even if I didn't laugh out loud because I work in cubicle-land).

GD Deckard
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 3:51 PM

It just dawned on me that progress on my book has included changing some of the earlier story line. The work now is different from what I had posted on Book Country last September. So, I've pulled off the old chapters & reposted the first chapter. I'll post other chapters as I review them.

Anyone looking at it might tell me what they think of the opening & the dialogue? Personally I think it's good but, hey, I always think that

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 8:26 PM

I'll try and take a look sometime soon. I need to do some more work in the SF field, so a few reviews in that direction would be a good idea.
GD Deckard
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 10:05 PM

Thanks Tim

Jump to different Forum...