RSS Feed Print
Is there a market for cyberpunk?
Stephanie Sauvinet
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 11:33 AM
I've heard a couple of people recently say cyberpunk/biopunk is a dead genre with only a handful of famous writers dominating it.

What are your thoughts? Would you read more cyberpunk/biopunk?

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:31 AM

I think there's a big audience for steampunk and biopunk in YA and adult. Not so sure about cyberpunk these days. Would love to hear from others, though!

Nathan Mcgrath
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:54 AM

Good grief, what with the phenomenal developments in nanotechnology and the convergence of nanotech with neuroscience, bioengineering, genetics, robotics, computing and medicine - with governments across the globe investing tens of billions in nanotechnology research -there has been no better time to rebook ( mean reaboot) cyberpunk.
To paraphrase Frank Zappa, Cyberpunk is not dead, it just smells funny. 
Nathan Mcgrath
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:57 AM

Though having said that, I must confess that publishers are saying lovey type things about my first novel 'Nanopunk' but none are taking it on. I suspect they are waiting for someone else to test the waters first.
Meanwhile, I've chucked up the first few chapters of the sequel "Lightning Seed' here
HJakes
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:28 AM

I certainly hope there's a market for it, especially with - as Nathan says - the developments in technology and speculative tech since cyberpunk's heyday.

My sense is that, for it to sell, it might need to be marketed as a blending of genres. Cyberpunk got to be perceived as narrowly defined, but I believe that it could very well see a resurgence if something (pardon the pun) novel comes along.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:41 PM

My sense is that, for it to sell, it might need to be marketed as a blending of genres.
I think I agree with HJakes's sentiment!

The market for science fiction is generally more narrow than fantasy, which is why a combination/cross pollination of sci-fi sub-genres works best! My personal sense is that military sci-fi/adventure/space opera mixtures are currently doing well as they are closely aligned with the video game industry-type games (ex: Halo, Mass Effect).

On the other hand, sci-fi author Mickey Zucker Reichert  has a new sci-fi series, ISAAC AZIMOV’S I ROBOT, so it seems like there is space in the market for reboots/remakes/revivals of older sci-fi themes/subgenres.

I hope this helps!

MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:44 PM
Apex Magazine still accepts cyberpunk shorts.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:57 PM

Well, considering that Shadowrun is rebooting itself, and getting MASSIVE support from the community, I'd say, short answer, yes. Long answer, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
shiningHatsya
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 1:11 AM

My story seemed to play in between cyberpunk and teen drama, but this is more of internet (gaming)-punk, as in I'm rather writing a present-day, no-VR .hack// wannabe series. I'm so far inclined on the internetpunk (pre-cyberpunk) though.

Jump to different Forum...