RSS Feed Print
Looking for more readers!
Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:26 PM

Hi - I've had a couple of books (part 1 and part of part 2 of a trilogy) posted for some time now and would really appreciate some additional feedback. What I've gotten so far has been very helpful, but I'm always looking for additional pearls of wisdom. The books are A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations and A Kaliphian Matter: Transformations. I hope to post some new drafts of chapters for book 1 and the next chapter or two for book 2 fairly soon.

Thanks!

(P.S. I feel kind of awkward to "recommend" my own works to connections, so I thought I'd try this route.)

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:24 PM

Bumping this up so more people see it! =)

Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:11 PM

Thanks, Colleen!

Nicki Hill
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 11:50 AM

I wish more people on here would do a "swap" - a review for a review.  It gets a little discouraging sometimes to review somebody's work and get nothing in return (other than perhaps a "thank you" comment, which of course is nice, but still).  But I also don't want it to turn into some of those other sites, where it's ALL swaps and self-recommendation - that shuts me totally off, and then I don't want to R&R anything.  It just feels like it would be nice if people would just automatically think to give a review in return when they get the chance, and mention that intent in the thank you comment - like it would be the polite thing to do, or something.  But I dunno.  Maybe that's just me.

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:48 PM

Hi, Nicki - I don't like self-recommendation, either - especially since, I think, the more a book is recommended to other members, the bigger its "buzz" - I don't want to artificially inflate that. I figured a call for readers in a discussion thread was the more diplomatic way to go.

I have a list of some 45+ books I'm following and have had the time to review maybe a third of them. Would love to spend a week just reading through the works on this site and doing reviews (good reviews - not the light ones I first wrote when I joined this site - geez, what was I thinking?!?!). I edit for a living and am very used to working with the track changes and insert comments features of Word. I find the reading pane and review comments teeny-tiny boxes on this site a hassle to use (and have made suggestions in the suggestion box thread), but have endured.

I've found that working in cycles helps: finish up a round of editing in one of my books; do some reviews; do another round of editing; do some reviews. I've been so absorbed in this latest round of editing, that I've let the reviews slip.

And, of course, there are all those wonderful distractions.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 6:10 PM

I will fully admit, the time i have the least time to read something with the intent of reviewing is while sitting at my computer...  I really wish there was a way to load these onto my ereader....

I have added you to the list to read!

Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:33 AM

Hi, Alexander - I can think of so many ways that would make it easier to read AND review the many works on this site that I want to read AND review.

Time is just one factor (a big one, but a factor). I won't be taking art classes this summer, or having choir rehearsals, or having regularly scheduled volunteer sessions. I hope to do a lot of reading and reviewing this summer! My list just keeps getting longer and longer.

Reid
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:20 PM

I'd be happy to read your book and give you some feedback.  I agree that swapping is much better than having two people read chapter one only.  I'd had some good feedback on chapter one but so what?  Anyone who want to swap, please chime in.  I have lots of time and am a fast reader so the more the merrier.

Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:42 PM

Thanks, all. I've added lots of books to my not so easy to organize list (really wish there was a better way to sort and manage all the books you're following).

Anyway, I pulled out a notebook (yes, paper) and a pen and jotted down a list of the 8 books I definitely want to read and review this summer. Here they are in no particular order:

Hands of Ash
Strains
Phoenix
The Phoenix Diary
FSO
The Agony of the Gods
Dead Switch
Koinobi

For those of you who have multiple books, if there's something else you'd rather I read, just let me know.

(I feel like I'm in grade school/high school again with my summer reading list!)

Nicki Hill
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:50 AM

Ooh, Angela, good plan!  Maybe if I kept a hard copy list and didn't
just rely on looking at what books I'm following, that would help me
focus on what I want to get accomplished this summer, too.

Okay, here's my list (also no particular order):
Cafe Trocadero
A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations
The Fate Merchant
Howl
Jan's Excellent Romance
Earth Quake
The e-Murderer
Enthusiastically Satisfied

Well, I feel a little better, anyway...now to just DO IT. 

Reid
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:34 AM

is Transformation part 2?  There seems to be a big jump where Ben sends an attacking army back through a rift.  But I only know that from a passing comment.

Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:37 AM

Hi, Reid - Yes, Transformations is part 2.

Nicki - Writing the list down REALLY helped me to focus. I would love to be able to better tag the books I'm following and sort them: Books currently reading, books on my review to-do list, books I reviewed, books I reviewed but am still reading, etc.

Philip Tucker
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:37 PM

Angela,

It ain't much, but I re-wrote a few lines from Kaliphian at
the discussion Re-write your first page, Mister?

If it's any help, I'll try to do some more.

Jump to different Forum...