RSS Feed Print
Love Triangle Losers: Nice Guy or Complete Monster?
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:16 AM

Let's face it: The love triangle is a staple of romances. We love them. And in the end, there is always a loser. When one guy (or girl) gets the girl (or guy), there is someone who doesn't. My question is about the loser. When reading a romance--or even writing it--do you prefer that person to be clearly wrong, a complete monster? For example, Gaston from the movie "Beauty and the Beast." Or do you prefer the loser to be a decent guy, a viable option but just not the one?

I myself prefer the latter, which is what I'm writing in "The Wedding Game." What about you? Which do you think provides more tension? Suspense?
Marcie
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:34 AM

I prefer the loser to be a great guy, just not the right one. If one of the guys isn't a viable option then you already know the end, which kills the tension, especially if the focus is on the "which guy will she choose" question, rather than the "will they/won't they" question. Also, a great single guy that readers have already fallen in love with makes for great sequel potential.

There is another option, she can get both. But that option seems to only be exercised in erotic romance

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 1:48 PM

If there is a love triangle, and one of the guys is a complete beast, and the woman has to actually THINK about it?  I lose all respect for her, and pick up a different book.

Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:08 PM
That's a great point, Alexander! Both characters need to have something compelling and sympathetic about them in order to keep the heroine from looking TSTL (publishing speak for Too-Stupid-To-Live LOL!). The reader needs to understand the heroine's difficult decision and believe that it truly is a triangle, not just a battle to woo her. In which case, the "loser" would still have something special about him/her, even if he/she isn't right for the heroine. 

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:41 PM

I was at a book reading where an author spoke about a love triangle in her books.  Both guys were good guys and she had the heroine pick what seemed like the obvious choice.  Shortly before publication she realized that the guy her heroine picked was the wrong choice for said girl.  The last book in the quartet was rewritten to reflect the change. 

After I heard about this I reread the quartet and I liked that both men were good choices.  I would have been happy with the books ending with either choice.  The ending with a strong woman saying, "I love them both, but X is the man I can truly be myself with." fit the series.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:09 AM

Sometimes that happens. You set up a romance and it just doesn't work. When I first started writing the scenes with my FMC and her first potential suitor, I almost thought they would be great together. But when I introduced the other suitor, I realized I was making the right decision. Though who knows, I still have more of the romance to write...
Tabetha Waite
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:39 AM

I also think it depends on where the story is heading, but if the heroine ends up with the 'beast' guy, he ought to at least be reformed, because we don't want to end the story shaking our heads. As for the good guy, it's sad to think that they always 'finish last.' Perhaps a nice twist would be to reverse the roles at the last minute and have the nice guy reveal some deep, dark secret. Other than that, I would suggest a spin off so he could have his own story.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:14 AM

Hmm, i would have left the character picking the "wrong" person. It's the character's choice after all, right? 

Tabetha, nice guys finish last. REALLY nice guys finish tied for no better than 8th place.

Jump to different Forum...