RSS Feed Print
Game of Thrones HBO: a boon for epic fantasy writers?
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:08 PM

For you, fantasy writers & readers, high/epic fantasy is old news, but let's face it, it's the Game of Thrones show that has eased the subgenre into mainstream culture. Dragons are the new vamps.

I asked this on Facebook, but wanted to see what you think: has the popularity of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series & its HBO adaptation encouraged you to read and write more high/epic fantasy? What do you think of G. R. R. Martin's legacy? How does it affect the way you write in/think about the genre?
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:12 PM

Bumping this up so others can see!
Herb Mallette
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:02 PM

GRRM was one of my absolute favorite writers through the 1980s and 1990s. I think I own just about everything he's ever written ... except ASOIAF. The first chapter of A Game of Thrones ticked me off so royally that I never finished the rest of the book. (I was in a bit of a reading funk at the time ... long story.)

So I'm ambivalent about the ridiculous level of success he's attained with the series. On the one hand, it's terrific that this amazing writer has finally achieved the cultural significance that his work has always deserved. But on the other hand, that success reminds me of a period in my life when I'd lost the joy of reading and felt betrayed by someone whose artistry I had come to expect near-miracles from. I realize that this is tremendously unfair of me, and I do suffer from a relentless nagging voice in the back of my head that says I need to give the books another chance. Nonetheless, I face a boulder-sized hunk of inertia that will have to be overcome before I take them back up.

As for my own writing, I'm obviously pleased as punch at any leg up George has given all of us fantasy writers in the overall market. My stuff draws on a lot of old-school sword and sorcery traditions, and, like Martin's older work, has a fair component of Jack Vance influence. Those characteristics have been out of favor for a while, so my fingers are crossed that his success bodes well for the kind of work I like to read and write.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:35 PM

Nicely put, Herb: "As for my own writing, I'm obviously pleased as punch at any leg up George has given all of us fantasy writers in the overall market. My stuff draws on a lot of old-school sword and sorcery traditions, and, like Martin's older work, has a fair component of Jack Vance influence. Those characteristics have been out of favor for a while, so my fingers are crossed that his success bodes well for the kind of work I like to read and write."

I do think it bodes well for high/epic fantasy writers.
Voran
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:44 PM

Personally, I hope that it bodes well not just for the old-school sword and sorcery stuff.  I hope that editors and agents will be more likely to look at high fantasy that's NOT set in an Ivanhoe-style medieval castle. There are so many interesting folkloric traditions out there begging for the high fantasy treatment. 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:19 PM

Idon'tlikethosebooks.

That said, I hope it does help make traditional/epic fantasy a more viable genre for the public when looking for something to read. One can only take so many female protag led urban fantasy/paranormal romances before they throw up.

And I want my chances of my book getting published to go up. It would be nice.

THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON. Read it!

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:01 AM

Actually, epic fantasy has already been of an uptick; since about 2009, it has been making a resurgence. Orbit Books in the U.S., Del Rey, Tor Books, Angry Robot and Book Country's parent bird Penguin all publish a number of really successful epic fantasy writers. 

I just wrote a blog post for our Penguin blog where I recommended several epic fantasies for readers of George R.R. Martin. Check it out; hopefully you'll discover a new author. 

http://www.penguinusablog.com/wibbly-wobbly-winterfell-great-reads-for-doctor-who-and-game-of-thrones-fans/

Cheers!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:47 AM

Colleen, thanks for sharing. I really liked PRINCE OF THORNS, which is the first installment in the Broken Empire series. And boy, is this book dark!

LeeAnna, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON has also been nominated for Best Hugo Novel. Very cool. Thanks for the rec!

Nevena
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:56 AM

I like PRINCE OF THORNS too. A UK writer I'm in touch with got to meet Lawrence for an interview. He says he is the nicest man he has ever met. The guy is just saintly. He has a special needs daughter, so he does a ton of stuff for charity groups. His blog is awesome too.

Jump to different Forum...