RSS Feed Print
Characteristics of (good) Slipstreams/Interstices
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 3:44 AM

I began writing shorter (more literary) pieces of fiction sometime last year. Previously, I had written longer works of mainstream fantasy and magical realism. Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing. I gravitated toward a certain structure - running two (or more) stories parallel to one another - and, very recently, I was informed that I was writing in the genre of slipstream/interstices (whatever the heck that means). I would really appreciate some guidelines (i.e., characteristics of good slipstream/interstices). 

If you want to know where my writing is (regarding the genre) or if you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, please check out my new short: The Dragon and the Phoenix. 

Much obliged! 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:23 AM

Hello Michael,

I'm also wondering about genres. I'm brand new to Bookcountry. I've not submitted anything yet, because I've not done my three reviews. 

The work which I intend to post, the first three chapters of a real monster, huge, is hard to pigeonhole. I would have to call it Screwball Fantasy. I'm hoping it belongs in Slipstream, because I can't see it in Comic Fantasy, which to me implies something lighter than what I've created. 

I'm going to look at your 'Dragon' for guidance. I have no answers for you except to say that my gut feeling is that Slipstream signifies thoughtful, even philosophical, absurdity (Vonnegut is cited as an example) which might well be considered a piece of literary fiction. Beyond that, I would say that there are no rules. Anything goes. 

Mimi Speike

Jump to different Forum...