RSS Feed Print
Hello from San Antonio
TatiAnna T.
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 1:38 PM

Hi everyone! I'm really excited to be part of this community - I'm a novice in the world of publishing, but I'm eager to learn and to make friends in the writing world! A little bit about me - I'm a 25-year-old with an illustration degree and a five-year goal to be both a full-time illustrator and a published author. My genre of choice is epic fantasy, but I also enjoy mystery and romance and just about anything that I can dive into.

I'd love to get to know all of you! If you need some honest commentary on your writing, just let me know

TatiAnna T.

Cas Meadowfield
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 5:36 PM

Hi
TatiAnna T.
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2015 11:08 AM

Hi Cas! What sort of writing do you do? cool
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2015 12:58 PM

An illustrator! I'm trying to illustrate. I'm really more comfortable with design. Is there somewhere that I can see your work?
TatiAnna T.
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 9:27 AM

Of course! Here's my illustration website! I don't have anything writing-wise posted, but I'm working on that tongueout I'll let you know when I do! 

Cas Meadowfield
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 10:49 AM

TatiAnna T. wrote:

Of course! Here's my illustration website! I don't have anything writing-wise posted, but I'm working on that tongueout I'll let you know when I do! 

Nice

Couldn't see whole pictures though, and couldn't zoom out. I'm on a Kindle Fire...

Me? I write children's stories. The one I've got up on here is a middle grade fantasy....

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 3:38 PM

TatiAnna, I do like your style, very much. What software do you use? Or do you work by hand and scan it?

TatiAnna T.
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 5:05 PM

Hi Mimi It's great to hear from you! I have been dipping my toes into design and it's pretty overwhelming to be honest! Do you have any work that I could look at? I'd love to see what you do

I have been using Photoshop for the past while, just to accustom myself to it, but I also do pen and pencil and scan them.

And Cas, if you ever need an illustrator I'd love to hear about it! Do you ever do books for younger children (0-5 years)?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 6:39 PM

I have no website yet to post to. If you would Private Message me your email address, I will send you some samples as pdfs. I am trying to work up a methodology for my illustrations for my light verse books. So far I am dissatisfied with the sharpenss of the 300 dpi scans I've made. It may be a matter of too much reduction. Placed in InDesign, some of them have been reduced to about two thirds of the original. That is because I did some trial drawings before I had a page laid out.

Do you think scanning at 600 dpi will make any difference?

I went through art school (Syracuse University) way-way pre-computer. I always drew by hand, and I am now trying to migrate my style onto the computer. I am going to try to connect with you right now. I would be so very grateful to you if you could advise me as I try to work this out.

I  can't figure out how to connect. I always have difficulty with it, and eventually do it accidentally. Email me at ___________. We can connect that way. I am so glad to make your acquaintance.

Well, this is odd. I just got a message, this post has been reported to a moderator. Are we not supposed to post emails? I'll delete it until I find out. Try to connect with me.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 12/7/2015, 6:50 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 9:16 PM

OK, I was finally able to connect. The little connect bar doesn't display immediately, for some reason. 

I know that dpi for the web should be 72 dpi. And I will get to that. For the time being, I am planning a print book, because I intend to create a companion paperdoll of the characters. The ebook version, I may give it away free, as a teaser, to sell the print version. If you want to see what I am trying to illustrate, look at my 'Sly - the Poem' - that's what I called it when I put it up here. It's short - 1200 words, plus comical footnotes. 

--edited by Mimi Speike on 12/7/2015, 9:17 PM--

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:09 AM

Hi, TatiAnna! You write fantasy, eh? I think we're going to get along swell!

My favorite fantasy genres are: epic fantasy, traditional fantasy, dark fantasy, and urban fantasy. I write dark fantasy, myself.

I'm looking forward to reading your work!

I'm gonna send you a Connection Request, so we can be friends.

Amber

TatiAnna T.
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:29 AM

Hey Mimi, 300 dpi really should be sufficient for print. I'm not sure why your scans wouldn't work - maybe it's something about the settings in InDesign? I'd be happy to take a look. I don't actually own InDesign, I'm just working with Photoshop at the minute. If you look at my website, pretty much all of the drawings on the "sketchbook" page were first drawn by hand and then scanned into the computer. Maybe you could also shoot a couple of scans my way so I can take a look and see what I can make of them?
TatiAnna T.
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:31 AM

Hi Amber! Great to get connected with you I do love fantasy, and writing is basically the only thing I've ever wanted to do (that and drawing of course wink) What would you define as "dark fantasy?" I think I write epic fantasy? It's what I'm going for anyway!
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:49 AM

Hmm . . . what do I define as dark fantasy? Well . . .

I'd go to the Wikipedia page and read through it. This is the link: Wikipedia: Dark Fantasy

Pinning down an exact definition is difficult, so that's all I can offer, lol, since Wikipedia does better at explaining it than I can

So, you think you write epic fantasy, huh? Epic fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy that, in Book Country's words, is set in a secondary world and has a complex and sweeping plot. Narrative usually involves detailed world building, warfare, the rise and fall of a kingdom, as well as a much larger cast of characters than traditional fantasy books. Setting is often redolent of Medieval Europe.

Does your manuscript(s) have that kind of vibe?

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:27 PM

Hey TatiAnna--lovely to meet you and welcome to Book Country! Let me know if I can help you with anything as you find your way around!

Jump to different Forum...