RSS Feed Print
Library Book Clubs
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:32 PM

On the blog today, Doubleday author Meg Mitchell Moore shared pics from a library book club event she did in Reading, Massachusetts. That got me thinking that I have no idea what kind of book club events *my* local library does.

What about you? Do you take part in writer events at your library? Is that something you'll seek out as you widen your audience?

DJ Lutz
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 6:25 AM
Our little town of Cape Charles (Seaview in my books) is trying to revitalize itself as a regional arts hub, something akin to Santa Fe, but with more of a Marfa Texas on the seashore chic. The library, along with the ice cream store and art galleries next to it, are fast becoming focal points for the effort.This past year, the library moved from an old wooden chapel to the abandoned granite bank building on our one main street; and immediately started a series of programs involving book clubs for kids and adults, as well as author readings. From a platform standpoint, in the off-season these readings draw crowds of 50 - 80 locals; during the summer "tourist" months, the audience can be much larger in number and geographically much more diverse. It all helps spread awareness to your work. And yes, of course I hope to 'faniggle' an invitation into the author series. I'll bring chocolate.
Perry
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:04 AM

My small town library can't compete with the cultural draw of the big city an hour away. Local writers' events are sparsely attended, I go to most of them to talk to local authors and to buy their books. When my novel is in print, I may have a release at the library. People will come for the wine, cheese and chocolate, and some will stay for a reading. 

A friend traveled the region for readings and signings of his books, which were held in local libraries, and didn't mind if he sold only a few copies at each. He said it was important to be out in the public, and that one book sold might lead by word of mouth to others.

Jump to different Forum...