RSS Feed Print
Series....
JFSurvivor
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:20 AM

So I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes! 

So I am writing a series. It's called "The Shadow Series" and so far I have 4 books in the works. Book 1 is about 5 chapters. Book 2 is 16 chapters so far. Book 1 feels finished yet unfinished if that makes any sense. 

Anyways this series is like a bunch of separate books set in different timps with different MC's but it does have over-lapping characters and creatures. It shows how he Earth and certain countries evolve over time while following the personal stories of my MC's. 

So back to my original qusestion: book 1 is five chapters yet feels finished but unfinished and book 2 is 16 chapters so far and is nowhere near completion. What do I do?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Here's what I'm doing with my series: I'm packaging the first thirty thousand words as a novella. It is actually the first half of book one, but I have many problems with clarity in the second half, so I am going this route to get something out. When I publish it as part of book one, I will add back much material that I have removed to streamline the start-up. So I will not be asking readers to reread, not exactly. And, the foundational world building, I will not repeat that. Could something like that work for your story?

I am going to call the novella a novella/teaser (I do a lot of speculating about what may or may not happen next - I am one of those intrusive authors) and either give it free or very cheaply, ninety-nine cents. 

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:12 PM

Hi, JF.

What is the word count for both manuscripts? If it's a series, most of the books will normally be about the same length. Maybe you need to rethink the plot. Could book 1 and book 2 be combined?

Hope my two cents worth helps, at least a little.

Edit: Also, Mimi's suggestion is a good one, having the first book be a novella teaser. I might use that method in the future.

Thanks for the idea, Mimi!

--edited by Amber J. Wolfe on 10/3/2015, 1:14 PM--

JFSurvivor
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 2:42 PM

Mimi Speike wrote:

Here's what I'm doing with my series: I'm packaging the first thirty thousand words as a novella. It is actually the first half of book one, but I have many problems with clarity in the second half, so I am going this route to get something out. When I publish it as part of book one, I will add back much material that I have removed to streamline the start-up. So I will not be asking readers to reread, not exactly. And, the foundational world building, I will not repeat that. Could something like that work for your story?

I am going to call the novella a novella/teaser (I do a lot of speculating about what may or may not happen next - I am one of those intrusive authors) and either give it free or very cheaply, ninety-nine cents. 

I like that idea!

Jump to different Forum...