RSS Feed Print
Banned Books Week
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 10:25 AM

It's Banned Books Week! Has book-banning ever affected your life?

Zach Heher
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:07 PM
I always found it hard to believe that Harry Potter books were banned due to the suspicion of promoting witchcraft. Now I just sitting here wishing magic was real and still waiting for my Hogwarts invitation.
JWillemse
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 10:31 AM

I'm not into anarchy and I don't consider myself a revolutionary either. But I do consider myself strong-willed and able to make my own mind up about things. I think all adults should. A large part of being a rounded person is being able to decide your own opinions, to make up your own mind and stand by your own reasoning. Just as much as it is to see when you're wrong and change your mind - admit you're wrong too.

So when I hear a particular book has been banned for whatever reason it always makes me want to find it and read it - make my mind up for myself whether it's damaging or not. If I can't get hold of the book to read or see the censored video, or hear the argument behind the censured idea tend to see the censor in a worse light than the creator.

I guess the flip-side to that argument is that the damage may have already been done, but then, the alternative is unjustified censorship - control - and who wants that?

Jump to different Forum...