RSS Feed Print
Thinking about writing Fantasy
Jamie Lynn Boothe
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:40 AM

Good morning everyone I joined Book Country about a week ago and I am reaching out for connections and education and of course fun. I am seriously thinking about writing fantasy. My genre so far has been romance suspense and on here I posted a short story collection of inspirational and romance. I have already written a short story about my own special breed of vampires (romantic) and I think it turned out pretty good. I guess what I need to know is some of your feedback on how the challenge of writing fantasy has been for you. Thank you and have a great day.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:41 PM

Well, I believe the experience is different for everyone, but I'll weigh in

I've been writing fantasy since I was thirteen--I'm now nineteen, and like to think I've improved vastly from my first meager attempts. The toughest part about writing fantasy was that I wanted to create my own unique world, with my own unique race, blended with well-known creatures, such as dragons, elves, pixies, etc.

I soon learned that it takes a lot of hard work to create a world. You have to think of cultures, how the magic system affects the land. You have to think of how the world looks (e.g., draw a map). You have to think of cities and villages and territories and how the races see each other. You have to compensate for how individual peoples will view each other.

I have a Dark Elf secondary character in my Fantasy manuscript Destiny's Bond. Because she is a Dark Elf (a race of elf notoriously known for being crafty thieves and expert poison alchemists) many other races see her as someone distrustful. And it doesn't help that she's a physician sworn to aid those in pain, or that she specializes in healing tonics, not poisonous brews.

She's also kind and compassionate, and strong. Yet because of the color of her skin and the stigma of her race, she's more often than not deemed unsavory.

You have to keep the ideals of the people in mind while writing a fantasy world--They probably won't react how you please.

As for story-wise, I've never really had a problem with thinking of them. For every new story, the world now seems to fall into place. I have lists of future fantasy novel ideas, and I basically know all I need to know to start writing them, once my Dark Destines Trilogy is complete.

Oops. Went on a ramble. Sorry!

Amber

--edited by Amber J. Wolfe on 8/11/2015, 4:42 PM--

Jamie Lynn Boothe
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:54 PM

Thank you Amber that was very helpful. It looks like there's a lot to it and I'll have my hands full, lol.

Jump to different Forum...