RSS Feed Print
DARKNESS BRUTAL is soft-launching!
Rachel Anne Marks
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:18 PM

Okay, so you're probably wondering what that means. I don't really know how else to say it, but Amazon has this program, called Kindle First, and every month they choose 4 books to be a sort of Book-Of-The-Month and make them free to Prime members. Anyway, the first time I heard about this was when they chose me and my baby book for a spot. EEK! It's been wonderful because I have reviews rolling in and it gets this newbie debut author who no one's ever heard of out in front of the masses. 

I'm super excited! I was even #19 int he ranking for a day. biggrin

You can check out my blogpost about out here--> DARKNESS BRUTAL

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:42 PM

Rachel, congratulations! That is so cool!

So, will the book be available to the general public on July 1? 

Rachel Anne Marks
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:28 PM

Yeah, it'll be off-to-the-races July 1st!
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:32 PM

Congratulations, Rachel! The cover looks great.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 1:05 PM

If your voice in the book is the same as your delightful voice on your blog, I'm going to enjoy your story. The text on your blog is lively fun, just the sort of thing that turns me on. Don't give me a synopsis, I could care less about that. I read for great style and lady, you have it. I'm a member of Prime, or so I understand, I don't remember signing up for it but I've been charged for it, so why not use it?

I'll read it this weekend.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 6/4/2015, 1:06 PM--

Sherrie Petersen
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:15 PM

Dude, it's at #4 right now!!! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:19 AM

I just bought Darkness Brutal, along with Gravity's Rainbow, The Bottle Factory Outing, and another bio of Sir Francis Walsingham. (Like I don't have enough about him already?) Man! Kindle is dangerous! I now have eleven books in my Kindle library. I've always said, I love to have a book in my hands, that I can highlight and mark up, but this is so easy. 

Well, I just made an experiment. I am able to copy and paste out of my kindle books into a word doc. So I can save the bits I would highlight in a print book. This is very useful when I'm reading history, taking notes for my historical fiction. Excellent!

I am just a bit concerned. I've just spent about thirty dollars. Are these books on my computer? It said: delivered to your Kindle Cloud, or something like that. If I someday move somewhere and don't have internet, will I lose the ability to read my books? Anybody know? I won't buy any more kindle books until I find out. Also, will I be able to transfer my books to another computer someday?

--edited by Mimi Speike on 6/7/2015, 2:39 AM--

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 5:04 PM

Hey, Mimi

To answer your question: No, you shouldn't lose your eBooks if you move somewhere else. So long as you have internet connection, you should be able to access them anywhere.

I'm not certain about how to transfer eBooks to different devices, though.

Hope that helps.

Amber

Rachel Anne Marks
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:18 PM

Mimi, thanks so much for buying my book! As to the whole Kindle thing: Kindle works on a cloud, so all the books you buy remain in your Amazon account and can be downloaded to any device/computer/phone that can work with a Kindle app. A Kindle file is called a .mobi file, and is only usable in a Kindle device, or with a Kindle app. There are programs that can reformat a .mobi file into a .epub file (.epub being the most common ebook file that can be used in most any device with all reading apps except kindle). But I've used Kobo, Nook, Kindle, and iBooks, but above all of them I like Kindle the best for selection and flexibility. I usually still keep an iBooks and Nook app on my phone or iPad along with my Kindle app. But I buy all my books pretty much exclusively on Kindle. And when you buy a new device or computer, all you have to do is download the Kindle app, sign in, and you'll see all the books you've bought on Amazon right there in the cloud, ready to be downloaded to the device. 

Hope that helps! And hope you enjoy DARKNESS BRUTAL!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 9:56 PM

Thanks, Amber and Rachel Anne.

I don't know what I think about Kindle. I don't actually, apparently, own the book, despite having paid for it. Most of the print editions are only five or six dollars more than the Kindle. A few are much cheaper. One I looked at, Kindle is $9.99. Used print (Used is good enough) is $2.74. I own it, I can never lose it. I'm about to be sixty-nine. What if I'm in a nursing home some day, with no or limited access to internet? I still have my books. You twenty and thirty somethings don't think about this. I do.

I think I'm done with Kindle. I don't trust it.

Rachel, I'll start your book tonight. As I said, I love your voice. 

Jump to different Forum...