RSS Feed Print
To EVERYONE: Feel Free To Join In This Conversation. Don't be shy
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 2:24 AM

Have you ever written out a scene in your novel and been really proud of it? Do you have favorite scenes you often refer back to when you need a boost of creative influence?

And what of you readers out there? Have you ever read a novel and found a section or chapter(s) you reread from time to time, and it never gets old? What are your favorite novels and the scenes in them?

I think it'd be fun to have a conversation about our novels/novels we've read. If you have a scene in your novel that makes you smile, why not share your reasons for being proud of it, along with an excerpt--not required, of course--if you so choose? As for you readers, an excerpt won't be possible, probably, but you could list the title and a bit about the book, why you like it and the sections you enjoyed most.

I have a couple scenes I'm proud of in my Traditional Fantasy WIP Destiny's Bond, revolving around my main heroine Destiny. She's a stoic, unyielding woman, hardened by abuse and her training as a remorseless assassin. In the beginning of the manuscript, she comes across unfeeling and cold, uncaring of the plights of others . . . or so it seems.

Destiny is complex, you see. Although in her mind she sees herself as a bloodletting and impassive killer, in her heart, she's got a soft spot for those in need and more often than not does what she can to ease them. It's instinctive, part of her nature, even if she doesn't recognize the drive--sometimes she'll ignore the drive, though it bothers her to do so. She's also really protective of those she bonds with, and will defend them aggressively when they're threatened--lopping off someone's head to protect her friends doesn't faze her in the least.

However, the scenes I'm most proud of are the ones that reveal the soft side to her. She has this ability to transfer wounds from others to herself, taking on the task of bearing them. This goes for physical aches and coldness, as well. In a couple of scenes, she calls on this power to ease the discomfort of her companions, as well as those harmed unfairly. It humbles me whenever this happens, because it's not an intentional occurrence--I don't say, okay, in this scene, Destiny, you're going to show your compassionate self . . . It just happens. The story just flows from my heart, painting onto the computer screen as I go, with the characters deciding how to act and how it'll progress.

In essence, Destiny decides what she's going to do, how she'll react. And it's thanks to the fleshed personality I've given her that she often reacts in surprising ways. Where I think she's going to be defensive and stoic in the face of a village's aghast horror of her, she breaks down and despises herself. When I think she's going to act understanding and soft, she turns up her nose and snarls.

Whew. I rambled, didn't I? I'll stop now. Sorry about that.

Anyway, come on, fellow readers and writers. Join in the discussion. What is a favorite scene/scenes in your novel(s)? What is a favorite section/chapter(s) in the books you've read?

Sate my curiosity by leaving a comment

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 9:51 AM

Oh, man.

In terms of scenes that I read over and over, I have to say the scene in Emma (Jane Austen) where Emma makes fun of Miss Bates in front of a large crowd of people, and Mr. Knightley scolds her right after, just . . . gets me. Getting a scolding from someone you want to think well of you is the worst feeling, and this scene captures it SO well.

In my own writing . . . I have no idea! I wrote a scene in my YA book where one character outs her gay best friend, and writing it made me so sad that I even shed a tear or two! But I am not sure if it reads as intensely to other readers as it does to me.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2015 4:36 AM

Thanks for answering my call, Lucy. It's great you love that scene in Emma so much.

C'mon, others. Why don't you join in? It won't hurt you.

Amber

Jump to different Forum...