RSS Feed Print
How many members?
Julesh
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 5:18 AM

I was wondering how many current members there are on this site? 

Being a member of two other similiar sites and having our two books critiqued on several occasions, whereas on this site, despite having a featured manuscript we have only had 1 review in nearly 4 weeks. Despite having had to critique 2 manuscripts to upload a manuscript ourselves there does not seem to be many members to critique work.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 7:06 AM

Hmm . . . how many active members. That's a tough question. There are so many who join this site and then abandon it. I'm an active member, and I'll agree to check out your manuscript.

This is a community who believe in give and take. Have you been reviewing other's work?

I recommend these Book Country members to connect to:

1. Marlin55 (He's been a good friend to me here)

2. Carl E. Reed (He's a very talented writer, and would benefit from passionate reviews of his work. If you ask for reciprocation, I'm certain he'll comply, though he's busy with his own work right now. It might take him a while to reciprocate.

3. SMRoffery (She's fairly new to the site, and I haven't spoken with her for a while now, but I've had some fun conversations with her. Her reviews are also helpful)

4. GD Deckard ( Carl E. Reed directed me to him, and he's pretty knowledgeable. You might benefit from a connection with him, though I don't know him personally)

5. Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager (She's nice and always looking to help out the members here. She's busy running the site, but if you asked, she might review your manuscript. Be patient with her, though, because it'll probably take her a while to finish the review)

6. Amanda Kimberley (Another new member who joined about four years ago but didn't have much to do with the site until recently. I've been speaking with her back and forth these past days and she's a good person. She's been published before and her reviews are thoughtful and helpful)

7. Mimi Speike (She's a long time member, and she's really nice. If you got a whimsical story from the viewpoint of a cat in the makings I think you'll click with her)

8. Atthys Gage (I don't know him personally, but we connected, and his review to me was helpful)

9. Jay Greenstein (This one's a critical reviewer, our personal Grumpy Writing Coach--It seems he finds fault in every WIP he ever sees . . . and he's usualy right. If you don't mind being chewed apart and called an 'amateur', this guy's the reviewer for you)

10. Voran (Another talented writer. He's got a WIP up that could use more reviews)

11. Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant (I recommend her because she's Book Country's Assistant, and a friendly person)

You can ask these people to review your manuscript. They're all really helpful. But make sure to reciprocate! Should they review you, check their profile page to see if they have a WIP of their own uploaded to the site. If so, review it. If not, don't.

This website can be slow sometimes, but if you connect with the right people, it'll feel active.

Happy Writing!

--edited by Amber Wolfe on 1/19/2015, 7:08 AM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 2:39 PM

Hi Julesh. the trick to getting reviewed is making yourself known, contributing to the discussions, showing us who you are. Develop relationships. Reviews will follow. Please keep in mind that most of us are juggling reviews, our own writing, and life. And we also have previous commitments to review. 

I'm curious. What other sites do you belong to? I believe this is the best place to get an in-depth review, short of a dedicated beta reader. And, to get a variety of opinions. Which you will distill down to what you find useful.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 1/19/2015, 9:35 PM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:53 AM

Hi Julesh--You can check the current membership # by doing a blank "People" search in the box at the top right corner. Just click on the arrow, select 'Search People" and click on the search icon. That will pull the list of every Book Country member in order of joining the site. At the top of that list is the current #. Today it is 17,908 members, but of course it changes every day!

Thank you, Amber, for recommending these awesome members!

Mimi, thank you, too, for offering Julesh great advice. I agree with it! Engaging with your fellow members is the best way to start getting to know each other's work, and getting to know each other means you'll be curious to check out each other's books.

Julesh, another thing I would recommend is that you upload an author photo to your profile--that always helps people to feel more connected.

I'd also change your display name to Jules Harvey, so that no one gets confused that Julesh and Jules Harvey are the same member.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:55 AM

And ha, Amber! Thanks for your kind words and your warning that reviews do take me quite awhile! Though I am headed over to review another member's work now . . . my to-read list is way too long!

Jump to different Forum...