RSS Feed Print
Write Start Contest and Author Series
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:49 AM

On the Book Country blog today, we announced an awesome contest and author series that our friends at Biographile are doing with Paste Magazine. It's called Write Start, and the contest component is to submit a 75 word previously unpublished paragraph--the beginning of a story. The winner will not only be published on PasteMagazine.com, they'll also get an iPad Mini, a Logitech keyboard, and a bundle of books curated by Biographile! The deadline is January 26th.

Biographile is also offering tons of inspiration for the contest on their site this month--essays with tips and advice from more than 40 published writers. Today they've got thriller writers Tess Gerritsen and Brad Taylor, and literary-SciFi writer Andy Weir.

Awesome way to kick off a new year of writing, huh?

Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 9:43 AM

I was reading author Jennifer Clement's Write Start article on developing the voice, and she gave a great tip which I think we all know, but we don't always practice: "I never check my e-mail or the news sites until I finish."
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:19 AM

The Write Start contest closed on Monday night. We can't wait for the winner to be announced on Monday, February 2nd.

Now that the entries are closed, do folks want to share what they submitted below. It's a great way to entice fellow Book Country members to check out your WIP and write you a review!

James Blackford
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:44 PM

Norman leaned back with a sigh. He squinted past the blood covering the windshield, then turned to Jake.

“Are you sure it’s still there?”

Jake shrugged, wincing at the gash in his arm. “Old McDonald had a farm.” His eyes narrowed at an oncoming sign. “E.I.”

Norman slowed, scanning the road ahead.  Jake grunted, then turned Norman’s gaze to the severed head impaled on the sign post. “E...I…”

“Oh.” Norman‘s face went pale. 

Lisa Li
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:10 PM

Here was my entry:

“I finally understand why there are so many churches here. It rains all of the time, you see. The white folks believe that clean water washes away the sins. And there were many, too many. That warm, soft rain washes the filth of hatred right from their very souls for a quick minute. I don’t think it always works though. Things still happen. That’s why I’m here. But I didn’t believe, not till now

Lisa Li
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:19 PM

James Blackford wrote:

Norman leaned back with a sigh. He squinted past the blood covering the windshield, then turned to Jake.

“Are you sure it’s still there?”

Jake shrugged, wincing at the gash in his arm. “Old McDonald had a farm.” His eyes narrowed at an oncoming sign. “E.I.”

Norman slowed, scanning the road ahead.  Jake grunted, then turned Norman’s gaze to the severed head impaled on the sign post. “E...I…”

“Oh.” Norman‘s face went pale. 

Nice! happy

Cathie Whitmore
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:39 PM

Here is my entry. 

Feeling his presence from behind, I quiver at the warmth of his breath on the back of my neck and the brush of his hand reaching over my shoulder.

“I can’t stop thinking about you, Kirstyn,” Julian whispers, placing an unmarked folder on my desk. I turn to face this mysterious man I first met just four weeks ago, but all that remains of my gorgeous new boss is the intoxicating scent trailing behind him.  

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:01 AM

Three-foot four of whipcord-muscled elf strode into the room. “The Bunny hijacked another shipment.”

The white-bearded fat man in a double-breasted black suit and wine-dark tie sat behind a green pinewood desk cluttered with reports. He looked as jolly as Al Capone getting a diagnosis of incurable syphilis from his doctor.

“Siddown, Bullet.”

“You ain’t gonna like this.”

“I ain’t liking it now,” growled St. Nick, eyes hot and bright as muzzle flash. “Siddown.”

Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 5:43 PM

Paste Magazine announced the winners of the "Write Start" Contest! Thanks to all of you who entered.

THE THORN OF DENTONHILL Sweepstakes will end TONIGHT at 11:59pm EST. Describe your own fantasy world in one sentence for a chance to win an advance copy of Book Country member Marshall Ryan Maresca's debut fantasy novel THE THORN OF DENTONHILL. Enter your description in this discussion thread. You can be as creative as you want. Good luck!

Jump to different Forum...