RSS Feed Print
Classic Detective Novels
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:48 PM

I’ve read the first few pages of The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler, and The Maltese Falcon, by Dashiell Hammett.  I’ve never read either author, that I can recall. They are both celebrated. They both write cinematically, visually, but in very different styles. Chandler’s is more what I expected out of Hammett:  hard-boiled, full of seedy attitude. An iconic milieu, LA in the forties, is sketched in very economically and very quickly. Hit the ground running is the phrase that comes to mind.

Hammett walks the same beat, California, the thirties/forties. The Maltese Falcon starts with leisurely - a bit schlocky, also mesmerizing – descriptive characterization. I remarked to my husband, if this were pushed a tad farther, I would think I'm reading a parody of a detective novel. The first few pages are like a deep-pile carpet out of the eighties. A bit tacky, a bit of a goof, a bit much, but so cozy on the toes that the reader is not in a rush to move forward. A whole book of this might start to wear. I’m going to learn something from these reads, which I should have done years ago. I meant to, just never got to them.   

Zach Heher
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:31 PM
Aah, the Maltese Falcon. The stuff that dreams are made of.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:06 PM

I'm surprised by Hammett's style, but I'm only four or five pages in. I've got a couple of reviews I have to do before I dig further.

Jump to different Forum...