RSS Feed Print
Dystopia Inspiration
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 10:01 AM

If you've got a Netflix streaming subscription, and are looking for inspiration for a futuristic, post-apocalyptic setting, you might check out a show called "Forgotten Planet." I watched an episode last night that took place in Pripyet, Ukraine (near the site of the Chernobyl explosion in 1986 and evacuated shortly thereafter) and Pilcher, Oklahoma. The voice over is a little cheesy, but the cinematography is gorgeous. It was really neat to see the way tress and other plant life take over the buildings once humans have departed them. It made me want to write a post-apocalyptic piece.
Marlin55
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:12 AM

My wife and I watched that program, Lucy. It was really eerie and made me think that it was a preview of  what the planet would look like if all humans were to vacate the planet. Another program you might be interested in is Life After People. It takes you on a chronological tour of how the world would change over a period of 13,000 years, and interesting to know that there wouldn't be any evidence humans ever existing. It makes me wonder that if over the millions of years of the universe if we haven't undergone this cycle many times.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Hi Marlin--yes, I think I watched that one, too! Fascinating! I remember they were saying that there could still be lights blinking in Times Square, because some of them are solar-powered. I love that image for a dystopia.

Have you--or anyone else in the community--read THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin? It is a literary-dystopia-paranormal-environmental thriller. One image that has stuck with me is a group of survivors transversing the overgrown I-15 freeway from LA to Las Vegas, not understanding what the "15" on the signs means . . .

Jump to different Forum...