RSS Feed Print
To Get it Right
CarolBMT
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:47 PM

In real life I'm a Spur- award-winning novelist specializing in historical Westerns. The book I'm workshopping here is the fourth in a series about the Vigilantes of Montana. Its title is The Ghost at Beaverhead Rock.

I'm now deep into the second, third, fifth, or 23rd draft (I don't know which because I often revise a scene umpty times before I let it go until next time). I also never have writers block.

Last week, though, I was blocked to the degree I could only putter at the novel and occupied myself doing other things. I even dusted my house.

This morning my subconscious told me to find the link between two issues that divided representatives in our first Legislature, which met in December 1864. Obedient to it as I usually am, I compared an article in the December 10, 1864 Montana Post with other notes I've taken, and realized that my understanding of the issue was incomplete.

That means that I have to delay the novel in order to get it right. It'll mean restructuring the outline and rewriting a significant portion of the book to accommodate my improved understanding of the issues. I made the announcement on Twitter and Facebook this morning. Now I have to let the local bookstore know that we have to cancel the book launch in December.

It's all worth it to get it right. I owe it to the readers who trust that the history in the novels is as true as I can make it.

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:18 AM

I'm sorry you have to delay your book, but I hear ya on wanting to get the history right.  I'm the same way in my own historical fiction works.  I don't just do it for the sake of not misinforming readers, but also because I'd just feel like I'd cheated if I didn't do my due diligence and properly research time periods and historical context.  Even if nobody ever called me on it, I'd still know I'd taken a short cut I shouldn't have.

Not only that, but history is fascinating as it is, and oftentimes just as exciting and full of intrigue as any work of fiction.  And when history cooperates with me (as it did ever so beautifully on my pirate novel, The Brotherhood of the Black Flag), it makes the research and the writing a lot more fun.  I've found that little tiny tidbits of information I've come across in my research have shaped key plot points and inspired character arcs.

CarolBMT
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:02 PM

You are so right, Ian.

History is fascinating, and full of intrigue in any era. And it is so much fun when one bit of information connects with another. Talk about "Aha!" moments.

The discovery that inspired the decision to slow down The Ghost at Beaverhead Rock was one of those.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:34 PM

@Carol-- "I even dusted my house!" Ha!

Yes, whenever my house is clean it means that I'm avoiding writing.

Jump to different Forum...