RSS Feed Print
WTF: Conservative Christian rewrites Harry Potter
Zach Heher
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:32 PM

So my friend shared something on Facebook today that really got my attention. A fanfic written by a stay-at-home christian mom, calling herself Grace Ann, rewrites over the popular Harry Potter so her kids won't turn into witches. I don't even know how to respond to this.

First off, fan-fiction is fun and all. It's cool to write your own stories that relate to the fictional universe you're a fan of. You can make them canon, non-canon, weird, or to ship your favorite characters together (Ash and Serena from Pokemon all the way!). But for some reason I strongly disagree with this one. I don't want to step on any toes but everything about this woman's writing is wrong. Reading Harry Potter isn't going to turn you into a witch or wizard (even though I wish it did) just like reading this fanfic isn't going to turn you into a Christian. Let's not forget how awesome these characters are when they have magic. 

It's probably not my place to discourage someone's writing. Maybe I'm just upset by the fact that someone tried to rewrite a beloved story in her point of view. Hell, Harry Potter was the one book series that got me to read more chapter books as a kid. I am reminded of something that the Nostalgia Critic, an internet film critic and comedian, said when he reviewed The Last Airbender. With all its flaws, the film could not be a stand alone because their is only one Avatar: the animated series. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a highly critically acclaimed animated show and one of my all-time favorite animated shows. Much praise comes from its perfect pace, performance, and animation. The film cannot replace something that is already loved by many. Just like this fanfic. The Harry Potter series is awesome because of its great characters, amazing setting, and intense action and emotion. This is something we all wish was real, we wanted it to be real. There is no way that this woman's "work" could ever replace Harry Potter because Harry Potter will always hold a special in my childhood. 

Here's a link so you can check out a sample of the story for yourself: http://aattp.org/conservative-christian-rewrote-harry-potter-so-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:52 PM

Hi Zach!

You might appreciate this anecdote:

J. K. Rowling was at a book signing about ten years ago when a woman came up to her and asked, as she handed the current Harry Potter book over to Ms. Rowling for an autograph (as close a paraphrase as I can recall reading): "My children love your books but I've been warned that they'll turn into practicing witches or Satanists after reading them. Do I have anything to be worried about?"

Ms. Rowling was reported to have smiled sweetly, signed the book and handed it back without blinking an eye. "No ma'am; you're insane. Next!"

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:55 PM

@Robert: Or as Truman Capote once quipped: "That's not writing; that's typing."
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:39 AM

Can someone explain to me (so I can understand it) the reason to write fanfic? Yeah I've read, the characters are assembled, personalities in place, histories, yadda, yadda, all you have to do is give them new stuff to do. Well, a large part of the thrill of writing is creating your characters, and seeing where they take you. Writing is the ultimate Magical Mystery Tour.

Anyone whose head isn't jumping with ideas of their own has a big problem, and ripping off someone else's creation is the least of it.  

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:21 AM

@Mimi: The reason to write fan-fic? 50 Shades of Gray & millions of earned author dollars.

Or is that genre more properly termed "fap-fic"?

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:21 PM

My friend Carmen Machado wrote a piece of Law and Order: SVU fanfic that was published in The American Reader, a literary magazine. It's a pretty amazing novella, as original as it is referential.

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:05 PM

@Lucy: That is pretty kewl! From time-to-time I consider writing a couple of ultra-cool, jazz-slick Green Hornet & Kato fan-fic stories. A Batman vs. Joker novella. A Conan novel. An original series Kirk-&-Spock Star Trek story that finds the Enterprise catapulted through a wormhole to a parallel universe where they at first mistakenly side with "The Federation" found there: Darth Vader's Empire of the Sith.

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 9/25/2014, 6:30 PM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:46 PM

So you see? There is much creative merit involved in fanfic. You never know where it might lead you . . .
Zach Heher
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:49 PM

Wow. Good responses so far. But yeah Mimi fan fiction is really cool. It's just another way for beginning writers to spread their creative views. There is no harm in taking already existing characters and putting them in grand adventures as long as you the writer is not profiting from it. Not sure how Fifty Shades of Gray got away with it.

Like all stories, there is good fan fiction and bad fan fiction. The Hogwarts School of Prayers and Miracles definitely fits in the latter category. Unfortunately for this writer, the reviews are heavily negative by Harry Potter fans and even pure Christians who highly praise J.K. Rowling's writing. Some people are claiming that this is a joke someone is playing. What do you think?

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:04 PM

Interesting discussion! Especially considering it's Banned Book Week and Colorado wants to rewrite/sanitize history curricula and texts! First of all, I don't have a problem with fan-fic. I've never written any (nor read any), but I thoroughly understand why people do. However, what this woman did is not fan-fic. It's her way to impose her conservative religious views on the most vulnerable readers out there: children. Sometimes I wish, that if there really is a God, he'd start dope-slapping some of these people.

Everybody does have the right to his or her religious (or non-religious) beliefs, though. But nobody has the right to believe that his or her religious beliefs are more right than anyone else's. I grew up Catholic (yes, I know, forever burdened with guilt), but the older the get, the deeper I dive into all that this world has to offer, the less "religious" I become. But I certainly don't try to dissuade the staunch Catholics in my family or community from their beliefs. I do, however, speak up when their beliefs (I should say, blind faith in church leaders and canon law) causes them to say and do things that are woefully "un-Christlike"). Fundamentalists of any religious persuasion scare the hell out of me. A religious belief that blinds you to science, reality, other people's views, and so on can be dangerous.

So, Mrs. Church Lady, you don't like Harry Potter. Fine. Don't read it. Don't buy the books for your kids. Write your own books using your own characters living in your own fundamentalist world and distribute them at your next Sunday school session.

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:54 PM

Ack! Robert, I tried. Couldn't get beyond "Shouldn't you be doing that?"

Jump to different Forum...