RSS Feed Print
Trying to write a nightmare/dream scene - (not sure what happened with that last post?)
Yellowcake
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:42 PM

First off ... not sure what happened and why it posted a blank when i tried to edit that last post... sorry about that?!?

OK So im trying to show a bit of back story without being too obvious, In a nutshell one of my MCs is a spirit that was killed in 1798 during transportation to the penal colonies of Australia. I wanted to show her story in the form of a nightmare, remembering bits of what happened, then waking up to her reality of existing today. Is this working? Any pointers.

Cheers

Al

---------

The crack of the gavel hitting mahogany rang through her head. The musket shot sound of wood hitting wood, making her jump and sealing her fate all at the same time. And those words. Those spiteful words floating towards her in a surreal fog of echoes.
 "Annie Emily Phi, for the crime of stealing, on this day, 13 June 1798, I hereby sentence you to live out the rest of your days in servitude as part of the penal colonies of Australia. May God have mercy on you."
"Your honour, mercy, it was just a loaf of bread.” Her words were stolen mid sentence as rough hands grabbed her. “I was starving, your honour…” She screamed out as they dragged her backwards. “My friends were starving.” Her screams muffled as they resonated into blackness.
"Take her away." The judge said as his face melted, twisting and blurring. His voice fading, changing into the slow rhythmic creaking of a ship.
Another face loomed in front of her from the darkness. A map of weathered lines, his teeth black from scurvy and breath rotten.
"Your a pretty little thing aincha.”
 Hands started grabbing at her. Countless hands coming out of the darkness from every direction and from nowhere. She felt the cold touch of steel as scissors and sheers attacked at her hair, cutting and ripping.
No, not my hair,  my beautiful black hair.
"Stop. Stop.” She heard a voice. Her own perhaps? She couldn’t tell. It was weak, powerless and small.
"You're a real pretty one little Annie-Emm Phi … "
The scissors and sheer took off in startled flight, their metallic wings flapping.
The nowhere hands started ripping at her clothes. Tearing, groping, making animalistic grunting sounds as they advanced. They pulled her down and held her as strange five legged spiders, danced a merry dance of pain across her chest and up between her legs. Her face was wet from the drooling monsters in red coats and the spiders shooting their silken webs across her features.
She tried to fight back, but the nowhere hands strong, holding her down.
"Please stop … Please stop.”
The nowhere hands grabbed her hair. Her bonnet ripped off, falling before her. The crispness of the white cotton, a stark contrast to the ships dark hardwood floor. She reached up, trying to relieve the chocking pressure from her neck, but the hands were too strong. They squeezed. The gentle motion of the ship rocking seemed to be mocking her as the nowhere hands pulled and pushed at her. She cried out in pain as something below invaded her body. The pressure around her neck relented, instead covered her mouth. She could taste the bile rising and his rotten breath as he heaved close to her ear, washing his foul stench across her face as he stole her innocence.
What this?
Her fingers clasped around something solid. Comforting in it’s in-organic coldness.
“You go next ‘arry.” the foggy voice echoed from the dark as the laughter reverberated around her.
“I don’t want your sloppy seconds.” Came the reply. She wanted to cover her ears, to block out the laughing, but that would mean letting this weapon go.
Her hand, free again, lashed out. The half empty bottle connected and shattered across that vile grin. Liquid splashed across her face, a twisted cocktail of blood and rum. She pulled the broken glass back, and stabbed out blindly, again and again. The nowhere hands lets go and the once strong voice was reduced to a guttural gurgling as its life blood pumped out across her. The crisp whiteness of her bonnet now soiled and stained red.
The map-lined face faded. She found herself in a shallow pool of blood, slipping as she tried to get up. The five fingered spiders transformed into rotting dead things, cracking as they groped.
“Run Annie.” A disconnected voice told her. “Run.”
She pushed the dead hands away, fighting their lifeless ferocity as she found a footing.
Another face loomed into view, this one also dead and rotting with the same black scurvy teeth grinning at her.
“You fucking whore.” It said. “You killed him.”
Behind the face the pompous judge sat. He pointed his gavel at her and laughed. His fat cheeks, growing in size as they flapped up and down in time with his mirth. His chins wobbling as they grew. The red robes of is office ripped and fell away leaving him naked and wallowing. The now monsterous slug in a judges wig raised his gavel one more.
“Australia.” The slug shouted and smashed the gavel down, laughing.
As the wooden hammer hit, she saw the flash of the muzzle. The little lead ball following it’s inevitable course. She turned and ran, but no matter which direction she went the little lead ball was barring down in front of her.
Her head cracked back as it impacted. The momentum took her feet away from her as she was thrown backwards.  

Somewhere, off in the distance a whistle blew and Anam Phi opened her eyes. She had been sleeping for a while now. She wished these dreams would leave her. It had been a while since the last one, but every time she would dream the same dream, waking as her head was slammed into the hard wooden floor.
Her found that her hand was shaking, tracing the outline of scar, the texture and ripples jarring against otherwise smooth skin.

... rest of that chapter ...

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:59 PM
Yellowcake wrote:

The crack of the gavel hitting mahogany rang through her head. The musket shot sound of wood hitting wood, making her jump and sealing her fate all at the same time. And those words. Those spiteful words floating towards her in a surreal fog of echoes. Dump this line. It has no context and only slows the narrative.
 "Annie Emily Phi, for the crime of stealing, on this day, 13 June 1798, I hereby sentence you to live out the rest of your days in servitude as part of the penal colonies of Australia. May God have mercy on you." Here's your first line, because it gives context to what comes next. and the gavel ending the trial is implied both by the setting and the sentence, so it's unneeded.
"Your honour, mercy, it was just a loaf of bread.” The "I stole a loaf of bread" thing has been done to death. This is a dream and the reader knows it is, for no purpose but backstory. And for every word of it, the main story is stopped, so best to keep it quick. I'd dump this entire paragraph because it's not a live scene and so adds little of meaning. Who wouldn't complain were they to have this happen?. Her words were stolen mid sentence as rough hands grabbed her. “I was starving, your honour…” She screamed out as they dragged her backwards. “My friends were starving.” Her screams muffled as they resonated into blackness.
"Take her away." The judge said as his face melted, twisting and blurring. His voice fading, changing into the slow rhythmic creaking of a ship.
Another face loomed in front of her If it's seen it has to be in front. from the darkness. A map of weathered lines, his teeth black from scurvy and breath rotten.  Umm...scurvy makes your teeth fall out. It doesn't change the color. Tobacco stained, without toothbrushes or dental cleaning would be dark brown to black, though.
"Your a pretty little thing aincha.” ?
 Hands started grabbing at her. Countless hands coming out of the darkness from every direction and from nowhere. She felt the cold touch of steel as scissors and sheers While a shear (spelling) is a form of scissor often used for cutting hair, most people won't recognize the distinction, so I'd use scissor and be done with it. In any case they wouldn't bother with trimming scissors. But that being said, it seems to me that her hair would be cut before they delivered her to the ship, though on that I have no data. In any case, it's a prison ship so she wouldn't be alone, and would probably have waited her turn, making the drama you supply seem a bit contrived,  attacked at her hair, cutting and ripping.
No, not my hair,  my beautiful black hair. This woman has endured the privation of prison. She's dirty, has been manhandled and stripped of dignity. She being deported to a strange place, and has a good idea of how she's going to be treated. Truthfully, I can't see her, at this point, worrying about losing her hair in those terms. But that's just a personal reaction.
"Stop. Stop.” She heard a voice. Her own perhaps? She couldn’t tell. It was weak, powerless and small. Relating back to the previous comment. She can't both be this disconnected here and as deeply vail as she was an instant before.
"You're a real pretty one little Annie-Emm Aunty Emm references...really? I'd give her another name. It's too close and will make eyes roll. Phi … "
The scissors and sheer took off in startled flight, their metallic wings flapping.
The nowhere hands started ripping at her clothes. Tearing, groping, making animalistic grunting sounds as they advanced. They pulled her down and held her as strange five legged spiders, danced a merry dance of pain across her chest and up between her legs. Her face was wet from the drooling monsters in red coats and the spiders shooting their silken webs across her features. I'm lost here as to what the five legged reference is to, especially as they turn to five fingered in the next mention.
She tried to fight back, but the nowhere hands strong, holding her down.
The nowhere hands grabbed her hair. It's been cut off. Her bonnet ripped off, falling before her. She's being held down so it would fall back. The crispness of the white cotton, No comma a stark contrast to the ships dark hardwood floor. She reached up, trying to relieve the chocking pressure from her neck, but the hands were too strong. They squeezed. The gentle motion of the ship rocking seemed to be mocking her as the nowhere hands pulled and pushed at her. She cried out in pain as something below invaded her body Give me a break, Something below? She's a virgin not an idiot. And: she's being raped, and she's a virgin, so it's a lot more more than just ouch. The pressure around her neck relented, instead covered her mouth. She could taste the bile rising and his rotten breath as he heaved close to her ear, washing his foul stench across her face as he stole her innocence.
What this?  No idea of what this referred to. An instant ago she was being raped. She would know what's being done. Remember, this was a time when people were close to the land, and knew all about breeding animals. And because houses were small and cramped, hids would be aware of sex early, and as today, would talk.
Her fingers clasped around something solid. Comforting in it’s in-organic coldness.
“You go next ‘arry.” the foggy voice echoed from the dark as the laughter reverberated around her.
“I don’t want your sloppy seconds.” Came the reply. She wanted to cover her ears, to block out the laughing, but that would mean letting this weapon go.
Her hand, free again, lashed out. The half empty bottle connected and shattered across that vile grin. Liquid splashed across her face, a twisted cocktail of blood and rum. She pulled the broken glass back, and stabbed out blindly, again and again. The nowhere hands lets go and the once strong voice was reduced to a guttural gurgling as its life blood pumped out across her. The crisp whiteness of her bonnet now soiled and stained red. She can't see this and so can't notice or report it, so it's you intruding.
The map-lined face faded. She found herself in a shallow pool of blood, slipping as she tried to get up. I can't see smeone bleeding out that quickly. And as stated there was a second man there, who conveniently seems to have lost interest. The five fingered spiders transformed into rotting dead things, cracking as they groped. Again, since a five fingered spider is meaningless without context, we don't know what she's seeing, where they are, and what they transformed to, so this doesn't work,
“Run Annie.” A disconnected voice  I have no idea of what a disconnected voice is, I'm afraid. Personally, I'd just drop the word. everything else is implied by the dispassionate, "voice." told her. “Run.” Umm...these guys are sailors, and the ship is rocking, where is she supposed to run to? And since she'as alone with the dead guy and Harry, who are we supposed to think said this?
She pushed the dead hands away, fighting their lifeless ferocity as she found a footing.
Another face loomed into view, this one also dead and rotting with the same black scurvy teeth grinning at her.
“You fucking whore.” It said. “You killed him.”
Behind the face the pompous judge sat. He pointed his gavel at her and laughed. His fat cheeks, growing in size as they flapped up and down in time with his mirth. His chins wobbling as they grew. The red robes of is office ripped and fell away leaving him naked and wallowing. I suggest you strip down, stand in front of the mirror, and wallow. Then, when you stop laughing, rephrase. tongueoutThe now monsterous slug in a judges wig raised his gavel one more.
“Australia.” The slug shouted and smashed the gavel down, laughing.
As the wooden hammer hit, she saw the flash of the muzzle. The little lead ball following it’s inevitable course. She turned and ran, but no matter which direction she went the little lead ball was barring down in front of her.
Her head cracked back as it impacted. The momentum took her feet away from her as she was thrown backwards.  

Somewhere, off in the distance a whistle blew and Anam Phi opened her eyes. She had been sleeping for a while now. She wished these dreams would leave her. It had been a while since the last one, but every time she would dream the same dream, waking as her head was slammed into the hard wooden floor.
Her found that her hand was shaking, tracing the outline of scar, the texture and ripples jarring against otherwise smooth skin.
- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, but you did ask.

Yellowcake
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:35 AM

Heh .. yup I did ask Thanks Jay, I'm struggling with trying to do this dream/nightmare thing. I want to try and capture the whole surreal/acidtrip/disjointedness that nightmares take, but still show the story of how she died. As its a dream though, I'm not too concerned if somethings, like five legged spiders for example, don't really make sense because dreams don't make sense.

I can see the whole thing playing out in my head but (clearly) I'm really having a hard time putting it down. I thinks it's an important part of the story so I'll persevere. (im a stubborn sumbitch after-all, hey I'm still slogging away with this thing after 6 months with a smile on my face even after the shredding of the earlier drafts and verbal sparring with your goodself

Yup point taken about the loaf of bread ... and the scurvy teeth.

The five legged spiders,  Hmm I had this image of these dismembered hands crawling over her, like spiders. Have you ever seen a huntsman spider. Big bastard things they are, Fast too. heh... I had been in Australia only a little while the first time I saw one (i was only a kid). I hit the bugger with lump of 4x2 wood but didn't quite get it.  3 of its legs came off and it looked like a giant hairy hand crawling up the wall. (poor thing) anyway, that image stuck with me.Have a butchers at this ... i can sooo relate to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3f99HhlpTo

Who is aunty emm? Is she an American thing? I've never heard of her. I was trying to show a transformation from the name Annie-Emily Phi to Anim (the irish/gaelic word for soul)  Phi (for weave) - actually I've also seen it translated into 'Anam Fhi' too  - im not sure which is correct, maybe both? but I digress.

The rape ... yeah ... ok ... heh ... not sure how to ... or how far to go with that motion before it becomes too much, obviously a bit further than I have  currently in this draft.

Seriously though, I really appreciate the feedback and pointers... I'll stick the re-work up and see what the mob thinks.

(what do you mean sigh ;-. and as usual, your right (well most of the time anyway )Im glad that it was yourself that came back to me first off Jay, Being a grumpy bugger that you are, I know you'll push me and I'll get a better result. So, as always, cheers.

Al

Yellowcake
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:26 AM

Face palm ... I just realised who aunty em is.  I'll follow the yellow brick road back to the drawing board on that
Yellowcake
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:05 AM

OK, So i've taken Jay's Comments on board and had another crack at it. I'm Happier with the result, I think its an important part of the story about the MC. It tells us who she is and why she is like she is. Is this tighter compared to the first draft? 

As usual any thoughts are much appreciated, this is a difficult and delicate subject to tackle hey.

Cheers

AL

----------------

"Annie Emily Phi, for the crime of stealing, on this day, 13 June 1798, I hereby sentence you to live out the rest of your days in servitude as part of the penal colonies of Australia. May God have mercy on you."

"Your honour, mercy.” Her words, stolen mid sentence as rough hands grabbed her. The musket shot sound of a gavel hitting mahogany rang out, sealing her fate. And those words. Those spiteful words floating towards her in a surreal fog of echoes. 

Another face loomed, a map of weathered lines. His misshapen teeth like rotten gravestones mounted on wet, reddened earth. His breath as foul as the corps's buried under his gums. 

"Your a pretty little thing ‘aint-ya.” He said as his hands pawed and molested her. 

More hands grabbed, countless hands coming out of the darkness from every direction and from nowhere. She felt the cold touch of steel as scissors attacked at her hair, cutting and ripping.

"No. Stop. Stop.” She heard a voice. Her own perhaps? She couldn’t tell. It was weak, powerless and small.

"You're a real pretty one"

The scissors scattered like startled birds, cawing and flapping with metallic wings.

The nowhere hands started ripping at her clothes. Tearing, groping, grunting with animalistic sounds as they advanced. They pulled her down and held her, transforming into grotesque five legged spiders, dancing a merry dance of pain across her chest and up between her legs. Shooting wet webs across her face, while the laughter echoed around her. 

She tried to fight back, but the nowhere hands were strong, holding her down. 

The nowhere hands spun her around. Her bonnet ripped off, falling before her. The crispness of the white cotton a stark contrast to the ships dark hardwood floor. She reached up, trying to prize the chocking pressure from her neck, but the hands were too strong. They squeezed. 

Another rip, this time her shirt. Spinning her again. Her rag-doll arms useless and flailing. The nowhere hands seizing the greater prize of her young breasts. A bitter sweet mercy, allowing her to gasp in the air she desperately needed. The gentle motion of the ship rocking seemed to be mocking her as they pulled and pushed at her. 

Pain exploded between her legs. Her voice tried to cry out, but that too was stolen from her. Her insides ripping as he pushed himself onto her. Into her. Grunting and drooling as he tore his way through her innocence. There was a wetness on her backside. Was it blood? Or was it him? She could taste the bile rising as his rotten breath washed across her, his foul stench on her face as he heaved. 

Her fingers clasped around something solid. Comforting in it’s in-organic hard coldness. Her once ragdoll arms became strong as her rage built.

“I don’t want your sloppy seconds.” Came the reply. 

Her anger fuelled her. She lashed-out. The half empty bottle connected and shattered across that vile grin. Liquid splashed across her face, a twisted cocktail of blood and rum. She pulled the broken glass back, and stabbed out blindly, again and again. The nowhere hands lets go and the once strong voice was reduced to a guttural gurgling. Blood streaked across her, washing through her mouth as his life spattered across her face. 

The map-lined features faded. She found herself in a shallow pool of blood, pushing off a dead man. Slipping as she tried to get up. The five legged spiders morphing into rotting dead hands, cracking and bleeding as they groped. Falling at her feet and scurrying away as she stood.

“Hide Annie.” her inner voice told her. “Hide before they find you...”

For a moment there was nothing but the sound of her heart and the pain between her legs. She wanted to run. She wanted to hide. She wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. 

“You fucking whore. You killed him.” 

A second face appeared from the darkness. Ragged and toothless with potted skin and boils across his brow.

Behind the face the pompous judge and sat. He pointing his gavel at her and laughed. His fat cheeks, growing in size as they flapped up and down in time with his laughter. His chins wobbling as they grew.  

“Australia” he shouted and smashed the gavel down. 

As the wooden hammer hit, she saw the flash of the muzzle. The little lead ball following it’s inevitable course. She turned and ran, but no matter which direction she went the little lead ball was barring down in front of her. Her head cracked back as it impacted. The momentum took her feet away as she was thrown backwards.  

Somewhere, off in the distance a whistle blew and Anam Phi opened her eyes. 

She found that her hand was shaking, unconsciously tracing the outline of the scar, the texture and ripples jarring against otherwise smooth skin. Her stomach heaved at the memories the dream resurrected. Still fresh, even though it was 200 years ago.  Every time she would dream the same dream, waking as her head was slammed into the hard wooden floor. The same night Croi Dorcha found her and gave her the choice. “Come with me.” He had said, “and no man can ever hurt you again.”

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:27 AM

Hey guys,

Sounds like you are having a really interesting and productive discussion about Yellowcake's excerpt here. I'm glad you guys are working together.

I don't think the discussion board is the right place for reviews and critiques, however. How come you aren't doing this inside read and review? Let me know if I can help if you have questions about how to use that part of the site.

You can always email me at Lucy@BookCountry.com if you need me to clarify anything.

Thank you!

Lucy

Jump to different Forum...