RSS Feed Print
Getting Active
DANA SILVA
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:41 PM

Hi All -- Al davis here (no -- not the former owner of the Oakland Raiders -- he's gone to "the other side" and I'm looking to stay on this side of the flowers for a good while longer.  Did love the Raiders, though. Been writing since childhood -- had many small pieces published, including umpteen letters to the editor of various newspapers, my own college paper column, poems, essays and short stories.  Writing a book was not on my Bucket List but I was roped into it by a person I grew up with whom I happened to meet by chance on the street after a 40 year hiatus.

Long story made short -- took me nine years+ to pen and refine manuscript and I'm getting ready to publish.  Initial beta reader feedback is good but now I need some real critics to hit me where I live to make sure the manuscript is ready for prime time. I will be uploading it shortly and am looking forward to the enlightened criticism and guidance I'm confident this group will provide.  Likewise, I hope to be able to return the favor for as many of you as possible over the coming months and years. 

Most of my current reading is not for pleasure -- mostly about how to get published and how to market one's work.  It's daunting! I thought writing the book was tough. I'm now understanding that publishing and marketing it is even tougher. That's complicated by a plethora of self-publishing houses looking to separate one from thousands of dollars in fees for this and that with absolutely no guarnatee that a single copy will ever get sold. Scary! I expect when you fine folk are done with me that I will first have to submit the manuscript for professional editing and that will cost a pretty penny in itself. Never understood that one has to be wealthy, famous or have really great connections to get published . . . until now. Hope to meet and work with many of you in the near future.

Al

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:47 PM

Hi Al--Nice to meet you here on Book Country. Welcome to the community. I think you'll find that this is a great place to get some honest, constructive, and thoughtful feedback on your work.

It's really exciting to hear about your plans to publish. 

Have you found another member to give a review yet? Let me know if you need help with that.

And what genre is the book you are working on?

Just sent you a connection request. I am happy to answer your questions and show you around Book Country.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jump to different Forum...