RSS Feed Print
italy
jlwordsmith
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:39 AM

I have a character in one of my book who is from Italy.  I've done some research on this area but didn't find what I was looking for. 

I need the names of  towns, streets and cafe etc where my character would have been. Any ideas on how to find these kind of details. 

It's critical info for the second book in mystery series.

jlwordsmith

Sephira
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:34 AM

Current day, or some time in the past?

If it's current day, maybe try Google maps. If you scroll in and use the "near-by" feature, you should be able to get a general listing of shops or cafes in the area, as well as the towns. 

Other than that, you may want to see if you can find someone who is from that area to interview, or even a tourism/historical site related to the region. Potentially if there are any forums (or even something like a FB page) dedicated to Italy in general (or certain particular locations), you may be able to post there and ask questions. 

HJakes
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:06 PM

Which region or town/city are you thinking? Italy's a fairly young country with fairly major differences (ethnicities, cultural influences, definitely food) between regions. Behavior can vary between regions as well, so determining that could potentially be important for making the character read as "genuine".
RCiroM
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 12:49 PM

YouTube is a great place to get the feel and scene of almost anywhere on the planet. Search small towns in Italy. Just search Italy and you will get tons of stuff. Same with google for images.

Jump to different Forum...