RSS Feed Print
dilemma with my Current Project
Ed
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:48 PM

I’m not sure really where to put this, but this seems like the best spot.

So my idea which I’m sure is not as new and inventive as I thought it was when it came to me: To publish my novellas like a serialized TV show.  Each novella would be a self contained story, or as self contained as I can keep it anyway.  My dilemma is this; each season would be kind of long, between 16-20 stories.  Again that would only be one season, and I have three season planned, with dreams of a follow up series.  I personally know I would find it hard to with a book series that was that long and the people I’ve talk(not book lovers, of course) have said they get tired of reading series after 5-6 books.  I’ve only finished the first story, which wasn’t even self contained and the final word count was 25,000 which is where I would like to keep the rest of them.

I’m looking for thoughts, and opinion.  Would anyone here really be willing to read a collection of 48-60 novellas?  I only ask cause I’m not an avid reader myself and that number seems really daunting, if someone told me before hand.  Thanks in advance.

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:38 PM

Well, assuming it's written and edited on a professional level, comparable to what one would find on a bookstore, it could sell. But...if the first story doesn't hook the reader on page one and entertain, paragraph after paragraph, as against just informing, no one will buy that first one, and so the rest will never be seen, since any reader would want to begin at the beginning.

The moral, I suppose, is to not screw around with little stuff, but to sit down and write a best seller. That may sound like a joke, but in reality, since no one is now searching the bookshelves and sites for a story with your name on it, you're going to have to have a product that matches or exceeds the writing quality of what readers can buy in the bookstore, if you expect the reader to become a fan. That's because while everyone says they read for the story, in reality, they read for the moment-to-moment reading pleasure the writing gives them, which means that as Ford used to say, "Quality is job one."

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 2:17 PM

I have to echo what Jay Greenstein said here, x1000.

I especially applaud (and mentally italicize, boldface and underline) his remark that: "That's because while everyone says they read for the story, in reality, they read for the moment-to-moment reading pleasure the writing gives them . . ."

Damn straight! Endless discussion about plot-driven stories. vs. character-driven stories--or pre-modern vs. post-modern literary aesthetic--or any of the other innumerable false dichotomies that can be whipped up on these boards and elsewhere--take a back seat in importance to authorial voice when it comes to sustaining reader interest over the long term in any given piece of writing.

Here's my advice: Write that first novella. Get it as polished, engaging and substantive as possible. Post it for critique. If you like the results, and a number of your reviewers like the results, begin work immediately on the other 50-60 linked novellas.

I suspect, however, that in writing that first novella you're going to encounter challenges in presenting your work in as riveting a fashion as you'd like. If this happens don't despair; hone your skills through practice, practice, practice.

A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 12/20/2013, 2:20 PM--

Ed
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 1:27 PM

Thanks for the response and I agree, I would rather have one amazing novella then 60 average ones.  One of the problems I always have when writing is I think about the next 2 scenes before finishing the current one, and that problem is magnified greatly with what I would like to do.  But I completely understand, write one compelling story first and worry about everything else later.  Thanks everyone.
JCW Stevenson
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 11:52 PM

My thoughts are that you should write an engaging story, and if that story (or stories) take 3 seasons and 60 episodes, then that's how it needs to be.  A story that sucks the reader in and won't let them go again can be near endless.  I've read every book by Terry Practhett and I'm not bored yet.

Dragging a story out to fit a predetermined mould will end up either contrived or extremely dull (I'm looking at you, Peter Jackson! ) and the readers will vanish fairly quickly.

I have posted up some short stories here that are combined into one document, and those stories will continue until I get bored, or reach a suitable conclusion. At this point in time I have no idea how many or when that will be!

--edited by JCW Stevenson on 2/24/2014, 11:54 PM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:13 AM

Hi JCW! Welcome to Book Country, and thanks for jumping into the discussion boards right away. We're glad you are here!

I just sent you a connection request--looking forward to being in touch on the site. Please let me know if you have any questions or need help finding anything!

I'm also really enjoying the thread that's developing here. A series of 60 novellas certainly is intriguing--and ambitious. I say, why not? Start with the first and see how it goes!

Let us know what's happening with it, Ed!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

JCW Stevenson
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:05 PM

Thanks! It's good to be here.

It's these sorts of discussions that give me a lot of creative energy.

Kerry Schafer
Posted: Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:51 PM

Lots of excellent advice here. Ed, the one thing I would ad to your comment that you are not personally an avid reader, is that it would be good to become one. I think one of the best things you can do for your own writing is reading. If novellas are what interests you, then read a ton of novellas. See what you love and what leaves you meh. It can only make your own writing better and is also great research into what's being done with the genre.

Ed
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:37 PM

Hey guys, I didn’t realize that people had kept going in this thread.  Sorry about that. 

JCW, I totally agree, and my goal is to write something compelling.  I’m not practically tied to the number a set number of episodes, I have a clear end point and several stops I’d like to make along the way.

Kerry, I have made an attempt to start reading more for the exact reason you gave.  There were a couple of books that have absolutely motivated me to become better at writing.

Lucy, as far as the update on the project, I guess this is where I stick in my shameless plug.  I actually just self-released the book on Amazon.  And am half way through the first draft of the second one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K3BJE1W

Janet Umenta
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:26 PM

Hello, Ed! I’m glad you’re finding help with your project on the discussion thread you created. That’s what Book Country is all about!

If you want to know when a Book Country member has replied to your post, you can follow a specific discussion or thread and be notified through email.

Once you are logged in, head over to the discussion forum. If you want to follow a specific discussion, click on that discussion title. Click on the small envelope next to the “New Topic” button, which is under the “Discussions” header. You will then be given the option to subscribe to all posts within the discussion, or subscribe only to posts that are replies to you. You can do the same thing for following a thread of a discussion.

Let us know if you need more help.

Jump to different Forum...