RSS Feed Print
Gratitude Board!
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:42 AM

Hi everybody!

I am getting super excited for Thanksgiving.

I am not really one for holidays--don't get me wrong, I love having a day off!--but because I've moved around a lot, I never quite know what to do with myself on holidays, because I don't always celebrate with the same people, in the same place. I don't have a ton of traditions to draw from.

But no matter where I am or what I am doing on Thanksgiving, I always like to go around and ask people to share what they feel particularly grateful for this year, and I thought it might be fun to do that here on Book Country.

I'll start: I am super grateful for my job here at Book Country! The last five months of being the Community and Engagement Manager on the site has been a whirlwind learning experience. Getting to know the extended Book Country community--the members and the staff--has been a real blessing. I have so many laughs and epiphanies during the time I spend with all of you, and that has brought a ton of energy and joy to every area of my life. It's wonderful to work with such smart, creative people, in person and online.

Thank you!

Share what you're grateful for this year, whether it has to do with your writing or something else.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:12 AM

I forgot to say how grateful I am for the coffee truck that parks itself outside the Book Country HQ. It also brings joy and energy into all areas of my life!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:57 PM

I'm grateful for the many amazing new people I've gotten to know this year - some online (on Book Country and various social accounts!) and some in person. 

It's so fantastic to feel a kinship with someone you've never actually met just because you both love the same scene in this fantasy book you've both read. I've done 30+ member spotlights this year, which means I've glimpsed into the lives and writerly brains of so many amazing, sharp people. Thanks for letting me in, guys. Thanks to Danielle Bowers for the awesome conversation we had once about the representation of women in HEMLOCK GROVE and THE WALKING DEAD, and to Jay Greenstein for so persistently recommending Jack M. Bickham's SCENE AND STRUCTURE writing guide (I love it!). Thanks also to Tim Maguire for using his scientific expertise to explain time travel in fiction. The list could go on.

I'm thankful for my colleagues, who are so supportive, smart, and always keep things interesting. I love that we can discuss anything, from work stuff to whether vampires or werewolves are sexier to UNDER THE DOME trivia to New York cockroaches. 

It's a joy to be around you all.

CA_Blandford
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:16 PM

Although I've just started engaging on Book Country, I'm thankful for the opportunity. For many, communicating with other authors and/or sharing critique is difficult in person, if not impossible, for a variety of reasons (including distance, as is the case for many in my big-'n'-rural state.) Grateful for the sharing to look forward to in the new year on the site and for the chance to engage with authors from around the globe. Thankful for all writers who share their lessons/tips/support online for FREE and low-cost. And of course grateful for family, who, among other things, put up with this addiction--er, hobby--with little fuss.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Aww, thank you for the kind words, CA. We're here for ya! Have a wonderful holiday tomorrow.

Jump to different Forum...