RSS Feed Print
YA- Currently Reading
MicheleLee
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:32 PM

I'm currently reading Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins, the follow up to Hex Hall. Anyone else read any books in the series? The initial set up is "What if a Hogwarts-like school for magical kids was more like a juvie hall for magical kids?" It's going elsewhere from there in this second book (which isn't even set at Hex Hall), but it's interesting.

BarbSheridan
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:44 PM

I started Hex Hall a few months ago but it never "grabbed" me early on. I borrowed it from the library so may give it another try.
jeseymour
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:08 PM

That sounds interesting, but I've never heard of it. What age group is it for? I work at a middle school library, so we're always looking for books to buy.

I just brought home "The Other Side of Dark" by Sarah Smith. I'm going to be on a panel with her at the end of the month, so I figured I should read something by her. Plus, I'm trying to write middle/grade YA at the moment and am still getting a feel for the voice.

Linna Lee
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 5:20 AM

I'm interested in hearing what you folks have to say about the Hex Hall series! I have the first book, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I just finished reading Abandon by Meg Cabot. I was excited about the premise (the myth of Persephone, darkly reimagined), but unfortunately the book didn't grip or emotionally engage me. Mostly because I couldn't enjoy the narrator's voice, but also because it read too much like just the set up for the next two books in the series.

I'm starting Delirium by Lauren Oliver this weekend, and I've heard/read many good things about this one!
Ixtumea
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 5:06 AM

I just finished reading COMPULSION by Heidi Ayarbe. Great look into OCD through a boy's POV.

Right now I'm reading DIE FOR ME. Another paranormal tale.

christinenorris
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 8:08 PM

I've just started Cassandra Clare's "Clockwork Angel". So far I'm really enjoying it, but I've been working with the period lately on my wip, so I'm kind of stuck on it. But the characters are fabulous and it's got a great storyline.
MicheleLee
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:29 AM

Jeseymour, It's teeny, but so far nothing more adult than some implied/mild cursing and light romance (meaning intent is there, but nothing more than kissing). In the second book, Demonglass, there are two characters who drink a lot and the main character touches on it possibly being a problem, but it's mentioned not really a big part of the plot.
Victoria L White
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:49 PM
I loved Hex Hall. Haven't had a chance to pick up Demonglass but hopefully I'll get to it soon. Paranormalcy is another favorite in the same sort of YA urban fantasy vein. I've got Holly Black's White Cat up next on my to-read list, right after I finish the current Dresden Files book I'm reading.
Sharon Johnston
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:16 PM

White Cat is one of my favourite books ever. The last book I read was Delirium - liked it a lot.
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:44 PM
I read so many YA at once that I really probably should keep a log ...
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:19 AM

Last night I finished THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green and I am about to start YAQUI DELGADO WANTS TO KICK YOUR ASS by Meg Medina. Both are contemporary YA. Have any members read those yet?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:21 AM

Another contemporary YA book that Book Country Director Brandi Larsen and I both recently read is ZOE LETTING GO by Nora Price. Curious to see if anyone else has read that one, too--it has really stuck with me!

Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:23 AM

Sharon Johnston wrote:
White Cat is one of my favourite books ever. The last book I read was Delirium - liked it a lot.

I read DELIRIUM last summer and I liked it, though I liked BEFORE I FALL (by the same author, Lauren Olivier) even more. @Sharon--have you read that one?

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:01 AM

Nevena put The Miseducation of Cameron Post into my hands, and I just started it yesterday on the train. So far, it has a great voice. 

And a compelling first line:

"The afternoon my parents died, I was out shoplifting with Irene Klauson."

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:33 PM

You may have noticed that we've been talking A LOT about Young Adult books on Book Country the past couple of weeks . . . I've been working a writing project for younger readers, and thusly, I am reading a ton of YA. (I'm one of those people who reads as a way to get inspired . . . reading always makes me eager to write, and I can tell that my writing improves when I read a large range of voices.) And then, of course, I bring all of that reading and thinking over here to Book Country! 

Anyway--here's what I've been reading:

I'D TELL YOU I LOVED YOU,  BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU by Ally Carter--fun, but not for me

PARANOID PARK by Blake Nelson--such an intense book

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER by Stephen Chbosky--our #BCReadalong

SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater--great stuff

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green--so incredibly quotable

YAQUI DELGADO WANTS TO KICK YOUR ASS by Meg Medina--more great stuff

Anybody out there read any of these?

What did you think of them?

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:33 PM

I'm currently reading historical YA book CODE NAME VERITY. I can't recommend it enough. It's the story of two friends during WWII. 

This is the kind of YA book that will appeal even to people who don't generally read YA!

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:48 AM

@Nevena--will you let me borrow?
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:44 PM

Of course! Will bring it to you on Monday. 

Nevena

Book Pusher

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 8/30/2013, 12:44 PM--

Jump to different Forum...