RSS Feed Print
Stunning Insight for the Day: Life Is Not A One Player game
Solitaire
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 10:07 PM

Hey Y'all,

Solitaire here. I'm brand new to Book Country. Decided to take the plunge after lurking on your discussion boards for a while. Though I naturally prefer to be a background character, I've recently pushed myself to take the risk and submit some of my work to be published. Only took *my entire life* to work up the guts to do it.

Tragically-long-story-made-less-long: I've received my very first rejection letter! 

This is big deal right? What do I do with it?

I will entertain all bonfire-related suggestions below!

Glad to be here ~ among those from whom I hope to learn a great deal

Looking forward to reading some great genre stories
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:39 AM

Welcome to Book Country!

Congrats, especially, on your first rejection! Ray Bradbury papered the walls of his house with his rejection letters. If you're looking to redecorate, that may be an option...

I hope you use it to inspire you to continue. Sending your work into the world is a brave and beautiful thing.

Quite a few people talk about rejection in this thread: (including my favorite question of "how many rejections does it take to make a book great?") https://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Topic.aspx?id=29.

If you need anything, feel free to contact me. I can be found here, on Twitter, and at brandi at bookcountry dot com.

Best,
Brandi
Book Country Director

Solitaire
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:33 PM

Thanks Brandi! I'll check it out. I'm learning a lot from the forums.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:29 PM

As for what to do with your rejection letter, here's what I'd do with my first one if I hadn't gotten rid of it:

1) keep letter
2) get published
3) autograph a copy of my book
4) wrap in rejection letter
5) parcel up and send to rejectee
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:51 AM

Lol, Timothy. Sounds like a good idea to me. =)
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:00 AM

@Solitaire, the single most inspiring thing I've read about dealing with failure is J.K. Rowling's Harvard Commencement Address. In it, she says: "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."

I really believe that the only true failure is giving up and not trying at all. So, congratulations on putting yourself out there and trying. You're on the right path.

Cheers, 
Nevena from BC

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:04 PM

Timothy, I'm making this into a meme . We think it's really smart & funny.
Solitaire
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:13 PM

@ Timothy... sounds like a plan, might I include oversized photo of myself holding published book? HA

@Nevena... I really enjoyed J.K.'s address, it was wonderfully inspiring.

Jump to different Forum...