RSS Feed Print
Hi, Everyone! How Do You Feel About Short Stories?
Dempsey Wilson
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:50 PM

Hi, everyone. How do you all feel about short stories? Is is not allowed to post them here? I looked through all the guidelines, but couldn't find anything about posting short stories. If this is a "Book Only" community, then I will understand and look for a different online community to post my short fiction. Input?

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:24 PM

Hi Dempsey!

Personally, I'm not a fan of short fiction. I do like flash fiction, ie, stories that are less than 1200 words or so. I think it takes tremendous talent to be able to tell a complete story that way. But I find that with short stories and novellas, I mostly just get frustrated, because I want something meatier to read.

Dempsey Wilson
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Too bad you're not into short fiction. A good short story shouldn't leave you wanting more, not in content anyway. A well written short story should provoke thought, particularly after reading it, but should also leave the reader satisfied. This is something I strive for in my work. I have 34 published stories so far, and several of them are flash fiction. I do, however, completely understand why some people prefer the "meatier" reading material. My brother is that way--loves the really thick novels (Terry Brooks, Stephen King, Dean Koontz) and I do, too, but I prefer short fiction over full-length works. Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Steven Lowe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 10:15 PM

To Colleen
This may be the thread I am looking for. What is the answer to the original question?

"...Is is not allowed to post them here?..."

I am working on a non-fiction book but I am not ready to post. but I do have some short/flash-fiction I would love to post to get some insight and comments on.

Bottom line- can we post the stories in our "Books" area. To be honest I have looked in the "Books" of some here and I only see a couple hundred words. I need more to read than a couple hundred words. I have one short story is 3800 words, and one that is 1289 words. Do these works of prose not count?

I look forward to your reply.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 9:59 AM

Hi Steven, 

Welcome to the community!
As long as your work can be described as "genre fiction"--fits one of the subgenres of romance, mystery, thriller, science fiction or fantasy--you are most welcome to post short fiction! We are working on expanding the genre map to incorporate more fiction categories as well as certain non-fiction ones, but these changes won't be in effect for several months.

I hope this helps.
Nevena from Book Country 

Jump to different Forum...