RSS Feed Print
Finally Getting Around to the Introduction
Sneaky Burrito
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 11:05 AM

A couple of months ago, I joined Book Country.  I think as a way to procrastinate; at the time, I was working on my PhD dissertation.  (I've since defended and graduated and am now looking for the first "real job" I'll ever have had in my life.)

Then, of course, I dropped off the site for awhile as the demands of life (e.g. my defense, editing my dissertation) took over.

But I've decided to start participating more actively again.  Haven't had big chunks of time to devote to reviewing, but can participate in forums, get to know the other people on the site, etc.

Anyway, about me: I read and write fantasy.  I haven't posted anything that I've written on the site yet.  I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm writing right now, but I have some ideas for future projects that are a little more conceptual in nature and I may post those, when I get around to them, because I'm interested in seeing how they'll be received.

I submitted my first manuscript in June so it's somewhere in the black hole (it's been in the neighborhood of 40-50 days at this point, so I've got a minimum of another month to wait, possibly more).  It's epic fantasy, and that's most of what I read, though I do try to branch out at least once a month and read something else (e.g. classics, contemporary fiction, etc.).  I'm currently working on the second volume of my series, about 250-275 pages in (I write first drafts longhand and haven't counted for awhile).

I have a blog about fantasy literature; I won't link to it here but I use the same alias there as I do here, so it's easy to find via Google if you're interested.  I'm not always very nice on that blog, and I'd rather be nice on Book Country because it seems like a happy and supportive community that is encouraging and fostering new talent and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I don't use my real name or my photo because one of the first pieces of advice you hear if you're job hunting is to manage your online identity.  So, if anyone Googles my real name, only appropriate professional material will be found.

Favorite authors are: Glen Cook, Steven Erikson, Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen R. Donaldson, Carol Berg.

Well, I'm a little behind with my writing schedule because of my graduation on Friday, so it's time to get off Book Country and start making up for lost time.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 12:59 PM

Hey Sneaky Burrito, 

Welcome to Book Country! It was interesting to read about your background; do you think your academic background helps you write fiction and how? I can imagine you are really systematic about doing research. 

Congrats on your graduation and good luck with the job search & book projects! 

Nevena
Sneaky Burrito
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:20 PM

Well, my academic background is mostly in science -- chemistry, biology, biochemistry.  What I tend to notice is that when I read fiction that incorporates science inappropriately or incorrectly (e.g. due to the author's lack of understanding of a scientific principle), I am constantly criticizing it.  The Hunger Games drove me batty, for example.  Actually, most books that incorporate genetic engineering drive me batty.  (Here's a hint -- don't write about cross-breeding of animal species with different numbers of chromosomes -- even if you envision that occurring in a laboratory setting.)

I haven't done much research yet, actually, because my first manuscript is a little more conventional in terms of fantasy setting and elements.  (That's not necessarily the same thing as being full of tropes or cliches, I think.  It's just not as exotic as some of the projects I have planned -- which will require research.)

Academic writing (especially in the sciences) is a whole different ballgame than fiction writing.  Though I'm sure it's affected me.  When you prepare manuscripts for scientific journals, space is often at a premium.  You have to learn how to cut material, how to make your point in as few words as possible.  This may have carried over to my other writing; I tend to be terse when I write fiction, and to be less tolerant of grandiose or flowery language.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Jump to different Forum...