RSS Feed Print
Quick question on query stuff
stephmcgee
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:36 AM

Okay. So I was reading a crit partner's query the other day and at the end she mentioned that she had an outline for a sequel available if wanted.  I'm gearing up to start querying here in the next couple weeks and I'm wondering if this is the right way to go.  I have ideas for a couple of follow-up/companion novels to the one I want to query, but they're very nebulous ideas at the moment.  In getting everything ready, I'm wondering how much time to devote to outlining these ideas.

Thoughts?

Tori Schindler
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:51 AM

I remember reading not to mention series plans or other books in a query, but Colleen is really the one to ask. It has to be in a FAQ somewhere.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 4:50 AM
Spend no time on th synopsis. They're not interested in anything but a competed book. It's assumed that you're going to write more, so talking about the follow-on before the editor/agent has looked at the manuscript has little sales value. Were you a published author, perhaps then it would help.

Spend your time polishing. An agent or editor will read till they're bored, confused, or see an error they feel should not be there. Then they stop. That's it. One strike and you're out.

The question to ask is this: If I placed my first page and that of ten writers who are on the bookstands now, would an acquiring editor not only not know mine was from a new author, they would choose mine as the best.

Publishers have plenty of "just as good" writers who have a following. A first timer has none, so they have to be special, which is why a writers second book often isn't up to the standard of the first.

Fair? Of course not. We all deserve fame. But is is how it is.
drakevaughn
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 10:49 AM

Only sell the project you have completed. No need for outlines for sequels. Good luck in your pitch.

Jump to different Forum...