RSS Feed Print
How do you stay on track?
Tabetha Waite
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:20 PM

As most of us have had happen, you get a bad review and wonder if maybe you shouldn't just give up trying to follow a long held dream of seeing your name in print. You ask yourself if it's possible you don't possess the talent you always thought you did, or even could have with more practice. Sometimes it's not enough to have the passion for writing if you feel you're wasting everyone's time. What I'd like to hear from everyone is what keeps you motivated to wade through the constructive criticism??
MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:28 PM
The voices inside my head. No, really. I write to shut them up.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:45 PM

It worries me that that is my immediate response. That and my astounding narcassism.

In reality though it's all about ambition. I want to be a writer. It's that simple. No matter how often I get knocked down or I knock myself down (which I do a lot), I get back up again because I don't really have any choice.
Michael Burkey
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:46 PM

Tabetha, there has been several times in my young writing career that I've gotten a bad review or critique that made me question what I was doing. Am I wasting time? Why did I even have this idea that I could be in Barnes and Noble? Why didn't I just play WoW instead of writing this chapter?

Then, I get inspired again by a wonderful TV show, or movie, or video game or my children. That inspiration erases my memory of the bad review and gets my pen back to paper. It is usually a vicious cycle, that has honestly affected my writing, it usually goes like this:

Step 1: I have to share this wonderful idea with the world! They must hear it! It is great!
Step 2: Write
Step 3: Get feedback from family and friends and multiple outlets online
Step 4: 1.5 star review stating that I'm a total noob and have no idea what I'm doing by some doofus online that thinks he is a writing god and says nothing positive. Family and friends tell me what I want to hear. Very rarely will people get a review online from someone and it is a good one. People like to write what they don't like, not what they like.
Step 5: Mope around wondering why I'm cursed with such a good idea that I can't release...
Step 6: Several weeks go by with nothing written
Step 7: An awesome episode of The Walking Dead comes on
Step 8: Inspiration achieved and I'm back to typing, forgetting the lack-luster review.

Tabetha Waite
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:30 PM

Oh, Michael!! lol I think you just explained my life in a nutshell! Great food for thought and I know EXACTLY how you feel. I think, why am I even doing this? I've wanted to be a writer for soooo long, that I just wonder if I shouldn't just give up and let all those great writers out there take the recognition that I want. But then I get selfish and say, hey! I might just be the 'next big thing'. I know even Stephen King had doubts about himself and look how he's turned out! I think we all second guess our talent or ability. The difference is that we have to have the courage to get out there and make it happen!! I know I will keep taking the criticism and try to better my writing, while sending out my work and letting the rejections pile up. Sooner or later, I'll get lucky, or maybe I won't. Either way, I know that I tried
DavidABossie
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:14 PM

Tabetha, I'm struggling with the same self-doubt.  What started as an interesting hobby during Nanowrimo has become a bit of an obsession for me.  But today this horrible thought came into my mind:

Do we all think we are above average writers.  Because half of us are wrong.  It's like driving or playing poker; anyone who does it thinks they're above average.

My mind hates for me to have a good day.  

I think what will help me in times like this is the enjoyment I get out of the act of writing.  If I'm no good at it, people here who review Dysfigured will just tell me if I should pursue publishing or not.  If the reviews are bad, I'll keep writing, but just for the joy of it, not for the money.

Jump to different Forum...