RSS Feed Print
Sex in erotic romance vs romance
MarieDees
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:02 PM

Okay, I'm starting this because I just saw the "page 190" bit on another thread and it made me laugh. The next novella I have releasing is erotic romance with four or five sex scenes and I don't think it even gets to page 190. I even have sex scenes that don't just involve the romantic leads. 

The romance market these days is broader than many people realize and the old rules that apply to romance generally don't apply in erotic romance (and sometimes don't even apply in romance these days).  

When writing sex scenes, it's a good idea to research the market a little first. Go read some sex scenes. Look to see what other authors are doing in the type of romance you're writing.  Erotic romance allows for a lot more daring than general romance.  

If you're new to writing sex scenes, try reading some erotic romance. What surprises some readers is how different a sex scene from one author can be from another author.  Exploring the different styles of writing sex can help you find a style you're more comfortable with.

Tori Schindler
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:32 PM

Ellora's Cave offers Naughty Nooners, little erotic short stories that are essentially just a thin plot to develop the sex scene. They're available for Kindle and a lot of them are free if anyone wants to just do research. I like plot with my sex, but hey, the fact that they're out there means obviously not everyone needs to be romanced.

I've been toying more and more with having scenes between secondary characters, it's just that I refuse to throw it in a gratuitous sex scene. I demand there be some sort of character revealing motivation behind it and that makes it harder. On the other hand, if I start a series as erotica, and the MC's can't get their act together until the end, someone has to release a little tension on their behalf. The reader deserves sex in addition to the romance or what's the point in reading an erotic romance series?
MarieDees
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:32 PM

Oh, yes, no gratuitous sex scenes.

Well, there was that threesome encounter I wrote for Fae. Oh Tribal and Franco in "Angel in the Middle." That was fun. Tribal and the incubus in the next in the series. Actually, Tribal and just about anyone because that little demonic rent boy will do anyone.

Now, "Lair of the Jaguar God" is a bit gentler in the sex department and actually has relatively little sex in relation to plot. Some books/characters have different needs. But I suspect the demon series is going to sell a little better.
MarieDees
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:21 AM

In erotic romance, the euphemisms are avoided and the actual terms for the sexual part used in the story. Although with some variation allowed just so you don't use the same work over and over again. So he doesn't sheath his sword in her flowering softness.

Of course some publisher do have preferences for or against certain terms. Not always what you'd think. I've seen preference sheets that "prick" shouldn't be used. The reason being it just isn't very complimentary and doesn't create the right atmosphere for sexual pleasure.

The best thing to do if you want to write erotica or erotic romance is to go read some. There is no single process or style to follow but you'll see the variations the different writers have and how it creates different moods and feelings with the reader. And perhaps the most critical aspect to remember when writing erotic romance is that you are writing for the reader. The scene needs to be interesting and well written but they also need to feel involved with the characters. It is a romance and therefore the sex should be romantic.

Jump to different Forum...