RSS Feed Print
Varying sentence structure: A comprehensive list of tips and tricks
Michael Guarneiri
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 4:01 AM

For... well... (probably ever) let's just say a very long time, I've been told to vary sentence structure. Until very recently (i.e., until last week), I had no idea what that meant (I mean...aren't all sentences structured: subject, verb, object?!... apparently not). All kidding aside, I figured this out (for the most part) a week ago; thus, I'm no expert. I thought it would be fun to create, as a group, a comprehensive list of tips and tricks for (like me) befuddled writers. If you're in and you have something to add, post it below. As long as your post pertains to the very-large topic of sentence structure (in all hopes, it will be constructive) then you're in the clear! 

My tip: sentence length profoundly affects the way your story is read. Short, declarative statements increase the tempo - great for high-stakes situations! Give it a shot and read it aloud. 

PS: my new short story - The Dragon and the Phoenix - could use some help in the sentence structure department. I wrote it over a week ago (i.e., before the epiphany). Much obliged. 

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:59 AM

Bumping this up so it's visible. Broken Discussion board! Argh.

Annah Johnson
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:10 PM

My tip is use asyndeton to describe something without listing everything.
Exp.: The room was pure industiralist: concreate floor, exposed steel beams, metal furniture.

For better examples you could read E.B. White's 'Charlotte's Web', or a book titled 'Word Magic for Writers' by Cindy Rodgers.

Jump to different Forum...