RSS Feed Print
Any comic book writers(at least people who want to be one)?
Kenley Tan
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:41 PM

I just want to see if there are any comic book writers here(or at least people who want to be one). After all, comic books have an advantage over books. Some of us read too much of it that our writing gets compromised and becomes more appropriate for comic books than books(some miniseries were never meant to be written like a novel)

Let's chat a bit about some comic book stuff like the DCU relaunch or how to get an artist for your book, but that's for a different thread. For now, let's introduce ourselves.

I'm a fan of Booster Gold, Power Girl, The Unwritten and Kick-ass.

I picked the Sci-Fi topic, because someone suggested that I place it here. Most comic books stories are Sci-Fi anyway.

CY Reid
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2011 10:46 AM

I'd absolutely love to write comics. I think it's an extremely powerful medium, but again it's one of those industries, like videogames, where everyone's a writer, but almost no one's an artist/programmer. It's tough to find someone who can a) craft the art you feel represents your story correctly and b) is talented but willing to take time out to work on something that may not be paid.

Personally, I love Hellboy, The Punisher, Fell, and the odd bit of Batman.

Hellboy I adore because that universe has a lot of potential, and the art is dark. I've never before seen an artist who uses black to bring out their art in the way Mignola does, and the combination of mythology, Nazi scientists and strong storytelling make it a win-win for me.

I love The Punisher for the same reason I love Batman - they're human. No superpowers, just resourceful and incredibly powerful, but of course, Frank is hated because he breaks that cardinal rule of heroes - don't kill the villains. Welcome Back, Frank, was my first Punisher comic, and I still think it's an enjoyable read with a semi-decent film adaptation.

Fell is great because Ben Templesmith's art is fantastic, and the story of a weird town with odd inhabitants, a mystic symbol appearing everywhere and a cop with a dark past is just the sort of story that draws me in. My issue with it is the issues themselves - it stopped after volume one, bar one issue, and it's a shame, as it was some of the best comic book writing/art I've seen in a while.
Kenley Tan
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2011 1:42 PM

CY Reid,

I understand what you mean about finding someone to draw your comic. If only I knew someone, I would be writing comics right now.

Comics are one of those mediums where you are forced to show and not tell. Where you can easily talk about awesome fight scenes. It's the best medium for me, because it's cheaper than TV, movies and games, but nearly equals their advantage.

I've read one issue of The Punisher, but it was a one shot, so nothing made me want to know more. I haven't read Hellboy though. Batman, on the other hand, has been one of those safe books for me.

There is one comic which Ive only read one shot, but absolutely loved. The Secret Six. It already ended thanks to the DCU reboot. Although, I've heard some of the characters will appear in the new Suicide Squad. I can't recommend it, because I haven't read it, but Secret Six is something I will definitely recommend. It's a series that is consistently good.

Secret Six is about several ex-villains who decided to be villains for hire. Some o them have no powers. The best part is the finale. Even if you knew they did some grueling things, you wanted them to win.
*SPOILERS* They lost against the Justice League, Teen Titans and the Birds of Prey, yet you want them to win.*SPOILERS*
R P Steeves
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 1:22 AM

As a kid, I wanted, more than anything, to be a comic book writer. The medium is my first love, and how I got interested in both reading and writing. I am concentrating on novels and short stories now, but I hope to find a way into comics at some point in the future, if I can find an artist, that is...
GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:11 PM
eBook readers are graphics friendly and I suspect that illustrated books and comics are a big part of the future. To find an artist, look in art schools or ask players in an online game. But don't expect anyone to work for free. Work out a deal and stick to it. I found an art student in an online game to illustrate my book. I couldn't be more pleased with Rachel's ability to artfully draw the characters that I describe. You can see what I mean at http://ThePhoenixDiary.com

Wilson Mitcham
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:51 PM

I'm a pretty big comics guy who...has drifted away from the flock unless I can swing by the TPBs at our local box bookstore. My usual shop closed so my collection, but not interest, waned. 

As I began writing, I thought it was a novel. What I've found is that I have the visuals in my mind and also that I've structured the story in a sequential order as a maxi-series/ongoing. 

As for what I am/was a fan of? Simonson. Thor. Simonson's Thor. Hulk. X-men. The Ultimates. Tons more, but I'm drawing a blank. I never was a DC guy, but the Flash has what is probably one of my favorite single issues ever. 
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 5:44 PM

I am in fact!  I'm scriptwriter at the webcomic www.antiheroescomic.com at the moment, and working with my artist friend there on a new comic that's all ours. (We took over for another person at anti-HEROES. )

I've been asking around of people doing it currently, ways to write scripts to make things easier for the artists. Theres a lot of disagreement about how much detail you should give, ect, i really want to compare notes and scripts.

I think actually, I'm going to ask about a scriptwriter section of the forum! not just comics, but screenplays and such, they have such a different technique to straight books.

If you are looking for an artist, I would highly suggest A. Deviantart. and B. the forums of webcomics that have a style that match what you are looking for. 

From seeing partnership attempts that both suceeded and failed, i think you should
1. have a base plotline, and some genre info  (not just sci fi fantasy ect, but, drama, comedy, relationships) for the comic, as well as a several written character sketches, and some comparisons of the kind of art you are looking for.

2. Ask nicely. You are basically asking someone to join you in a business relationship. State what writing experience you have, why you want to make a comic, and what you bring to the table. Ask if anyone is interested in working with you on the story. Make it clear that you aren't looking for an art bot, but a partner!

3. State up front if you intend to profit, and what cut you intend to give the artist ( me personally, i find the art is much more time intensive. I've offered before a split of 10 30 60, website maintence and ads, writer, artist.)

Jump to different Forum...