RSS Feed Print
Imaginary characters vs real people
Maya Starling
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:14 PM

We read all those love stories, where men are mostly perfect, very attentive and loving.

How do those characters influence your perception of real men? Are your expectations high? How do you deal? Are there such perfect men out there?

JCMcDowell
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:22 PM

Fictional men, I believe, do influence you're out look on relationships. Just because you've read it in a book, doesn't mean it's real. It's quite unfortunate, actually.

There are perfect men out there. They will have their flaws, but their exceptional aspects will supersede said flaws, bringing those to near non-existence.
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:22 AM

I want to know what love stories you're reading. It seems the ones I pick up always have the hero (and in some cases the heroine) who is a big jerk at the front of the book. It's the evolution of the change -- for love -- that is the crux of the story.

Personally, I think I'd have a hard time if the man in my life was perfect. Sets the bar too high. The flaws make him a better match for me.

Maya Starling
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:13 PM

There are books where the guys are great and help the woman grow and change for love. I actually liek that turn, but of course they have their flaws but its the good things about them that make them so loveable.

LisaG
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 6:14 PM

I'm probably too old for characters to influence my perception  My expectations are not changed from reading, but I think that I do value in real men the things that I value in fictional ones; faithfulness, truthfulness, consideration etc.  

I do not think that my perfect guy exists, but if a few flaws like leaving clothes thrown around the room is something I have to put up with to get the important traits, I'm good!
C M Rosens
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:00 PM

I'm not sure. I feel that I learned to be far more accepting of a man's flaws through being eternally irritated that women couldn't see past one or two minor things in an otherwise perfectly good bloke. I'd like to think that I'm more understanding...

TE Hauxwell
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:00 PM

I frequently joke that the reason I'm single is because I'm happily in love with several fictional characters, but they're all fictional characters with flaws. In real life would you want to put up with Sherlock Holmes? I was browsing the Kindle romance section on Amazon last month and found one novel that had rave reviews but I decided not to read it because the author described her hero as being unbelievably hot. That put me straight off. Yes, unbelievably hot men exist but when an author so obviously worships her male protaganist I can't help feeling that the work is just going to be a trip into someone else's wish fulfillment.

Maya Starling
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:07 PM

That would put me off as well. Characters do need to be believable after all... but sometimes, maybe its the place I come form and mentality around here... I like ficitonal characters more, not the perfect ones, but ones with flaws, because it's their good traits that's hard to find there days. I think.

Flaws are good because they can be balanced out by some other character's traits. So they fit, even though none of them are perfect. Do I make sense?

Jump to different Forum...