RSS Feed Print
I fell for one of my Fantasy girls.
Mac Fortner
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:26 PM

Have you ever liked your characters so much you didn't want the book to end. I just kept writing so they would still be with me. Finally I came to my senses and rewrote the end. I decided to write a sequel. She was a fantasy character anyway but I liked all the other characters just as much. You do get close to your characters if you are writing right. Don't you think?

Halford
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:52 PM
Your title almost sounded like confession!
But yes: I do tend to like characters I write; if you want people to be emotionally invested I suppose you could be too! Though I don't think it's necessarily a prerequisite for writing right.
A secondary character of mine is planned to die quite soon, and since I started writing bits he's in I've been feeling guilty, as he's so good natured and funny, but it needs to happen to move the story for a main character - and if a reader misses him as much as the MC does, then something has been done right, I guess.
Ghost
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:32 AM

I like it when my characters die. The ones that don't make it all the way are the most memorable in my opinion.

But I'm ok with writing prequels so they can still be with me.
L R Waterbury
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:26 AM

I think falling in love with a character (or multiple characters if one is so inclined) is a hazard faced by many authors. Some authors manage to avoid the pitfall of taking that love into obesessive territory by realizing when it's time to quit. Unfortunately, others just don't know when their love has turned into their readers' least favorite Halloween horror movie. They keep on plugging at a series that should have been brought to a close books ago and end up ruining the good will they had built up during the good ole glory days. The Honor Harrington series comes to mind. The first several books were good and then they just got progressively worse as David Weber took his love into stalker territory and ended up taking the series further and further into ridiculous territory.

That being said, I worry only about falling in love with the characters I write for more 'heroic' type stories. Otherwise, I tend towards writing rather flawed people or people I just wouldn't like. Who knows, though, maybe I'll fall head over heels for one of those flawed types and then ruin the character by un-flawing him/her just cause I want them to be happy.
LilySea
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:19 PM

This is a big danger for me. It keeps me from wanting to put them in distress, kill them or let them be truly villainous. I'm getting braver as I keep writing, though.
And yes, there's always the prequel!
Atthys Gage
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:01 PM

When I really get emotionally involved with a character, it's really not unlike a parent/child thing. They get pushy and uppity and start thinking like you owe them their freedom. It gets hard to remember who made who sometimes.

But that's the best. Eventually they go their own way, and even as you reach out to brush away an extraneous adverb or straighten a modifier, they slap your hand away. Sniff. They don't need you anymore.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:11 PM

I have two characters that I adore that I plan to kill. I realize when offing them is more beneficial to the story. Of course, a writer should realize when they burn too brightly to last. We must move on at some point. As much as I love the ones I'm going to kill, I know they must die. Its the only way my story is going to go anywhere.

I do think that one must also show restraint when "bringing" the character back in some form or another. A prequel makes sense, but it must be beneficial to the previous works. Then there is bringing them back from the dead by some magical form, or visiting their spirit. Yes, I understand you love them, but there must be a reason. Sometimes dead must be dead.
Mac Fortner
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:16 PM

Very good. I thought this might bring up some interesting points. This book is a light hearted beach read that would never let anything bad happen to the MC. However a few of the secondary characters did bite the dust.

I think I can squeeze one more book out of these Characters without pushing them down anyones throat.
Thanks to all who responded. Lets hear more.

Jump to different Forum...