RSS Feed Print
Any good books on culture / landmarks?
J Montgomery
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 2:01 PM

Hey everyone,

This particular area doesn't seem too well populated with topics or discussions, but I'm still hoping someone might be able to point out a couple suggestions.

I'm looking for any decent, "easy to read" books or compendiums or anything that might give an overview on various cultures, practices, historical landmarks, etc. This doesn't all have to be in one book for sure, but I am really not that well traveled and in the interests of trying to really enhance the world at large in my story, I'd like to read up on things and see if I can get some inspiration from what may be practiced elsewhere in the world or popular places with a fascinating history. Anything from marriage rites and rituals, customs involving death and burial, to everyday life. Past or present even.

I know this is a pretty broad request. I've searched through Amazon for something that fits this criteria and, unsurprisingly, there's a LOT of options. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, be it book or even website perhaps, now that I think of it, I'd love the additional feedback before I take the plunge and buy something that may not necessarily be what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Cas Meadowfield
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:48 AM

This IS too broad a question. I suggest not to try to buy books on this you could never read them all! Do a web search instead.
Going by you reading likes, I would suggest looking at  'medieval Europe/Britain', 'European/British medieval feudal system' and the 'Arthurian  legend'. Anything else: religion, weapons, burial customs etc, just put 'medieval' in with it and do a search.
Have fun

J Montgomery
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:47 PM

Ya, I knew going into this question it was a very broad one and probably intensely difficult to answer. Your reply gives me a good starting place and I figure google and wikipedia, if I take the time to really peruse both, could prove to be much more valuable than any kind of compendium. Even if wikipedia is user-edited and not "scholarly" all I really need is a basis or a foundation for my imagination to take root. I'll still definitely check out the book suggestions though.

Thanks!

Jump to different Forum...