RSS Feed Print
Howdy!
Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:23 PM

I've been a member for quite some time over here but I don't think that I've actually introduced myself. I'm kind of shy. Sorry! BUT at least I'm saying hi now. That's a BIG step for me LOL! I have lived in Connecticut almost all of my life (had a brief 6 month stint in MA when I was a baby). I LOVE to cook and know how to make a lot from scratch. But I'm not great at baking. I kind of suck at it, actually. That's actually a good thing though, because I'm gluten intolerant so I can maintain my will power somewhat.

I like to read and write. I've been doing both since I was very little. At age 9 I discovered poetry and found a great love in writing it. After poetry I did a few short stories but it wasn't until college that I really started to write every day. At that point I longed to make a career out of it. I finally got around to trying to achieve that goal around 2006.

Back then I was exclusive to writing articles, blogs, and nonfiction books about the health condition called fibromyalgia. I was satisfied with my writing, but deep down, I always wanted to write fiction. When I turned 40 something in me started to stir. It was an incredible itch to finish a fiction novel that I had started 20 some years ago.

A feeling of determination followed. I couldn't believe how strong it was at the time, looking back, (and that was only a year ago) I think there was a lot of anger that helped to fuel it. By my 41st birthday I had given myself the greatest gift I could ever imagine, I FINISHED the book! It was THE BEST feeling!

Right now I'm currently working on a prequel to the book I just finished. I have the first five somewhat polished chapters on here, but I'm actually a little over half way done with the book. I just don't like sharing the absolute first draft. Makes me feel too vulnerable! But having that, guess that determination and anger is spilling over into my 42nd birthday because I just may have another finished book close to my birthday!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:10 PM

Hi Amanda, and welcome. I live in Danbury. Where are you? What sort of thing do you write? Wow! I can't believe you joined around when I did, and I don't think I've ever seen your name in the discussions. Or have I missed you? I tend to haunt certain topics, not so much in others.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 1/14/2015, 10:12 PM--

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:22 PM

Hi, Amanda. Welcome to Book Country! Or more, welcome back wink

I'm certain you'll find the member's on Book Country to be a group of people hoping to see each other succeed in our writing endeavors. I accepted you connection request, and will begin reading your manuscript now--though how long it'll take for me to finish a review is indefinite, seeing as I've promised another I'd review the rest of their WIP. I'll try reading a chapter for both of you a day.

Happy Writing, Amanda. And never give up!

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:16 AM

Hi Amanda--Welcome to Book Country! Please let me know if you need any help finding your way around.

Very curious to learn more about what genre you are writing in!

Lucy

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:01 AM

Hi Mimi!

I'm about a 45 minute drive from you. Not too far at all! I'm in New Britain-- about 15-20 minutes from Hartford.

I'm currently writing a paranormal urban fantasy romance series. It has witches, werewolves, vampires, and even a sorcerer and some gods and goddesses in the mix. I started crafting this story line in my early 20's but I had to put my ideas on the back burner so I could pay bills (and eat-- very important that eating thing LOL!)

I also write a lot of nonfiction about the disease fibromyalgia. The old saying, "write what you know" is an understatement for me because I was diagnosed with FM back in 2005. It was COMPLETELY frustrating to research the disease back then because there was a lot of false information. So with that, I decided to dedicate some of my time to setting the record straight with factual information. I've written countless articles, blog postings, and books on the subject.

And I haven't been on the boards all that much. I get a little shy and tongue, or rather, keyboard tied. Good thing I'm a writer because I'd be a completely anti-social introvert if it wasn't for my characters. Or maybe it's my controlling and overbearing characters that keep me anti-social? I haven't decided just yet.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:07 AM

Amanda--very cool! I think you'll find a lot of other PNR/UF folks on Book Country. What writers do you like to read?
Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:07 AM

Hi Amber!

I saw your review and left a comment and PM about it, but you can now disregard it. I didn't read this first. I thought you were critiquing the entire 5 chapters and I was completely confused by your critique and asked you A TON of questions about it. Sorry about that!

From this comment it appears you've only read one chapter so far and I'm guessing your rating would apply to only the first few pages. Makes more sense to me now.

Thanks for critiquing, btw. It's nice to have fresh opinions on my work! And thanks! I love to write. It's part of me, always has been. I don't plan on giving up. It may take me 20 years to write something, but I won't give up. I'm too stubborn for that.

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:09 AM

Hi Lucy and thanks! I'm starting to feel at home here!

I am currently writing a paranormal urban fantasy romance series but I also write nonfiction too. My main focus in nonfiction is about the disease fibromyalgia.

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:15 AM

Lucy, I really love Amanda Ashley, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Toni Andrews, Anne Rice and J.R.R Tolkien to name a few of my favorites-- I have MANY . I also like Jasinda Wilder as a romance writer. She's only done one paranormal so far, but I like it along with her other contemporary romances!

--edited by Amanda Kimberley on 1/15/2015, 11:17 AM--

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:18 PM

Ack! I already replied to your questions via PM. I am planning to read the rest of your manuscript--I've always planned to read the rest, on the assumption that you'd be uploading more drafts once in a while--For some reason, Book Country won't allow more than one review on a draft from the same person.

In the message, I said I stopped where I did because I was doing so from a potential reader's perspective, which is the truth. But I was going to go through the rest of it--In case I confused you in the message, I wanted to make that clear. Didn't want you thinking I wasn't going to continue reading.

Well, expect a review of chapter two either today or in the next few, as my computer is dial-up, and loading a review page on it is a struggle.

Happy Writing!

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:58 PM

Amber Wolfe wrote:

Ack! I already replied to your questions via PM. I am planning to read the rest of your manuscript--I've always planned to read the rest, on the assumption that you'd be uploading more drafts once in a while--For some reason, Book Country won't allow more than one review on a draft from the same person.

Yeah, I know that they don't let you to review a draft more than once. It states that when you hit send. I was always nervous about that so I review things according to that nervousness.

I've always reviewed the entire piece because I want to make sure I review the piece to the best of my ability. Every writer has a different style. Some mesh with you and some don't. It's a tough call as a reader.

Some people only read one author they like because they are afraid they will hate any other book they pick up. Those readers have particular tastes.

Other readers are eclectic. I fall in that category. And my critiques are based on my eclectic tastes. I read the whole thing-- every word-- even the "thes". I feel that's the best way to review a piece to the best of my ability because it gives me a better sense of what the writer is trying to say.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:04 PM

@ Amanda. I am also an introvert. And I have worked on my book for nearly thirty years. For most of that time I either worked massive overtime or else held down two jobs, to pay the bills. I met my fabulous husband a little over ten years ago, and his emotional and financial support - I have been able to go down to one job, semi-retirement - has enabled me to finally go at my monster tale with the energy I never was able to summon. 

I will read your story, but I have other commitments right now. I'll start with three or four chapters and continue as I find time.

In addition to reviews, I am on a particularly difficult section of my story. I'm inserting a complicated new multi-chapter episode in the middle of chapters long written, and it's harrowing. Kind of like when they dug The Chunnel, going at it from England and France, praying to make the sides meet seamlessly in midstream. I'll get there, but it's taking some finagling.

I'm almost up to the place where the Virgin Mary (my sort-of Virgin Mary, actually Sly doing a voice from a cliff side) puts in an appearance, my Holy Grail at the moment. When I get past that, I'm back in known territory.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 1/15/2015, 4:46 PM--

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:01 PM

I'm the same when reading something to review--I read word for word, unless at the beginning I can tell the piece needs major revising to be eligible.

And again, I must implore that you not read any further than Chapter Thirteen of Destiny's Bond. The chapters afterward are obsolete now, so your reviewing them wouldn't do any good.

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:30 PM

Mimi Speike wrote:

@ Amanda. I am also an introvert. And I have worked on my book for nearly thirty years. For most of that time I either worked massive overtime or else held down two jobs, to pay the bills. I met my fabulous husband a little over ten years ago, and his emotional and financial support - I have been able to go down to one job, semi-retirement - has enabled me to finally go at my monster tale with the energy I never was able to summon. 

I hear ya! Working a lot of hours can kill the best of intentions! I will take a look at your work in progress too. I have a few commitments myself, but I'll tackle a few chapters at a time with yours too.

Jump to different Forum...